Fly rod cork replacement?

Rate this topic

James m

Im going to replace the cork, reel seat and fighting butt on and old sage BASS smallmouth and I am finding a lot of conflicting info on the best way to go about this. Anyone able to speak from experience about the best way to do this? Or have some good resources.

Thanks

19 mins ago, James m said:

Im going to replace the cork, reel seat and fighting butt on and old sage BASS smallmouth and I am finding a lot of conflicting info on the best way to go about this. Anyone able to speak from experience about the best way to do this? Or have some good resources.

Thanks

it depend on how you like the job done.if you like that perfect,you have to strip that mesure size and order cork.check cork jannetkraft tolido ohio

You'll be hard pressed to find that quality cork grip just anywhere, they originally used Struble cork and reel seats, but then they went out of business and I have no idea where they went from there, they also changed the grip style then. They originally used Hopkins and Holloway guides, they are sold through Fuji in the US, and Angler's Workshop has long been a dealer. They were for a very long time the only company making the thin wire guides used in the tip section, but I believe Snake Brand does also now.

Last year I replaced the foregrip on my 6 wgt.  It had cracked and the front half of it was loose.  It's two piece rod, and I had to remove the running guides and hook holder to replace it.  I cut the old grip off, cleaned up the blank, order a Grade A cork grip from Jann's Netcraft.   Once I got the grip, I used a reamer I have to widen the hole.  Coated blank with epoxy and slide it on. Put a new winding check on.  The guides were in good shape, so I just wrapped them back on.  I didn't replace the hook holder.

You have a bit more work because you want to replace the reel seat.  Depends on how well its put on.  You should be able to loosen it with heat from hair dryer and slide it off.  Hopefully you won't have to cut it off. If you have to just be careful.  I assume the fighting butt is a permanent cork one.  You would remove that the same way as you removed the grip.  When you replace the fighting butt you might want to consider a removable one.  Jann's Netcraft sells a kit.  They also sell cork rings, if you feel adventurous and went to make and shape your own foregrip.  Just take your time and you'll have, in a sense, a brand new rod.

Just strip the bottom section and go from there, you'll probably have to replace a stripper guide or two as well. Mudhole will have everything you'll need.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

It’s bitch work for sure but doable. If you have turned your own handles before doing the opposite isn’t really that much harder. If you haven’t, then realistically I think it’s gonna be tough. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.