JBstripes

Thin soft braid wanted

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys so a while back I got new stradic  1000 and made a post about what to spool it with .   I settled on 6# yozuri hybrid line .   I like it for the most part but it’s not the same as braid , which I’m used to.   After a cast it seems like 2 or 3  wraps of line come off the spool before I have a chance to close the bail .  Which leads to loops buried in the spool, wind knots and so on .  I’m looking for a light braid like 4 or 6# ,  I want something soft and plyable, that would work on such a small spool . Let me know what you guys think before I order something .  Thanks  

I use 6lb suffix or 10lb invisibraid on all my light duty reels. Cortland master braid is softer, but I hate it. You might have a different opinion. 

As mentioned above Suffix 832 is a good choice. The past two years I have used 8 carrier Fireline 10# for freshwater. I really like it. Soft & thin. 832 for salt.

I had many good years with Spider Wire Stealth also.

I like Gliss. 8lb is suuuuper thin and limp. Maybe to a fault. You have to stay on top of line management and don’t overfill your spool. 

I mainly use 10# 832 for light spinning reels.  It’s pretty soft new but definitely breaks in. 

I've been using reaction tackle braid and found much thinner and softer over power pro for it's price it's worth a look.

All the guys in my club spool with Sufix Nanobraid for shad fishing, where you have to cast a light dart pretty far.

I picked up a few spools of Invisibraid on a clearance table at a price I couldn't say no to and have been happy with that. The Nanobraid does seem slicker and more particular about the knots you use.

Posted (edited)

Ok, I have an UL reel that is about the same size, a Quantum Smoke PT size 15. I traditionally spools these reels with 4 lb mono, Trilene XL.  I fish for all types of freshwater species with this type of setup,  LMB, trout, and yes carp.  I had figured that if I spooled this reel with a braid I could squeak out a bit more casting distance when tossing trout flies , with or w/o a bubble and other light offerings.  The results are such that yes, I do get more casting distance when spooled up with 4lb Fireline Crystal.

BUT, you have to be very careful about reeling in slack line, as others have mentioned, reeling in the thin braid is not forgiving at all with respect to slack line, if you let things get wonky, your reel will be a mess.  SO try it out and as others said be mindful about line tension.

An aside: I will be forced to place a leader or some terminal tackle on the Fireline mainline when going after carp.  Reason is that the Fireline is just too strong, even 4lb, to provide a breakoff when a carp starts hitting the limit of your reel drag.  If I keep this mailine in place without a leader for carp fishing -there will be a whole lot of braid tangled about the ponds where I fish.

Edited by chisler

My fishing partner has been using Phenix Iron Feather Fiber Elite for Surf fishing for corbina and surf perch   He has used quite a few other brands but like this... I believe it only comes in 3# and 5# ...

Butch