Nick T

Surfcasting: How many lures do you bring?

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

Hello.

Lures while surfcasting?

Here in France, the word "surfcasting" corresponds to a mode of fishing in the waves with live baits such as worms, crabs or shells.

It is a fishing in the waves with a line with three stacks with three hooks, the line is finished with a lead-grapple, pear, ball, star or torpedo.

The main fish caught are bass, mullet and several kinds of flatfish.

7562E215-80D9-4257-994B-718F1D6978F3.jpeg

Not less than 3 or more than 6. That being said, I usually have 12-15 lures and another dozen metal, bucktails and rubber. Maybe more. Stupid but long term habit, fill it up, you may need it.  

Never needed more than 6, and having less than 3 is stupid too, if you run into things right, you might be sorry your under armed on short notice.

Usually “too many” for me. I’ll usually try a couple new things on any given outing, but then if no activity it’s right back to what I have confidence in. 

If I can see the conditions ahead of time I’ll bring two spooks, two poppers, several bucktails, a spoon and a swimming plug. If I’m not sure about wind and surf I’ll bring the same x 2 with two rods. Florida. Generally I catchi on bucktails, just need the right weight for the conditions.

Ya three to six lures usually is the ticket. But I always have a few days a year where I’ll go through 20 lures and one will all of a sudden start working.

My bags are stuffed, i try the light on lures . Im just a whore.  But i blast through them plugs  till i get what they want.   SBM

Stuffed bags matter.....

21 mins ago, bassmaster said:

My bags are stuffed, i try the light on lures . Im just a whore.  But i blast through them plugs  till i get what they want.   SBM

Stuffed bags matter.....

bass.....seriously, what about your back??  Are you carrying those suitcases on your endeavors?  How long are you out there fishing carrying those things?  Sounds like you're carrying 10 pounds worth of tackle.....

I used to bring a suitcase… but I’d always find myself only actually using 2 or 3, and usually the same 2 or 3.  I like to go light and effective, “economical” if you will lol. So eventually I evolved to usually having a couple variations of my top 3 and then bring a couple wild cards.  …with 50 plugs in the back of the truck of course. 

I added a glider recently, plus I modified a Danny with a metal leaf / blade whatever that’s called on the rear hanger that’s super sexy & different enough to justify two Danny plugs. And a short yo zuri. Downsizing isn’t happening yet!

7 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

bass.....seriously, what about your back??  Are you carrying those suitcases on your endeavors?  How long are you out there fishing carrying those things?  Sounds like you're carrying 10 pounds worth of tackle.....

Walk put down fish, na im going light about 14 lbs lol

My bag is usually stuffed pretty good. 12-15 plugs at least and then various jigs. Most mornings I ask myself why I even bother carrying anything but bucktails. The weight of an extra 10 plugs is not going to be what stops me from wading out in a ripping current our climbing down a rock ledge. 

On 5/22/2022 at 11:13 AM, Skf01 said:

Lures while surfcasting?

Here in France, the word "surfcasting" corresponds to a mode of fishing in the waves with live baits such as worms, crabs or shells.

Sounds like not much casting is going on in France, more like surfwaiting.

Too many and never enough.

When I'm packing my bag I'm looking for ways to stuff one or two more plugs in there. Always think I don't have enough stuff. 

Then usually while fishing I'm rotating between the same 3 or 4 lures each time, never touch half the stuff I carry.