Nick T

Surfcasting: How many lures do you bring?

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Mark L said:

I assume the needles are in a separate bag?

Early season bag ,that was last year, other bag had needles in car though

Swap in and out as day needed.

More dannys hit that bag that week

4 hours ago, chisler said:

I hope things improve in CT, and elsewhere.  This stuff always creeps into my mind as I get older.  

If you take a trip to MA, the north shore; Salisbury State Reservation has staff and a" big wheel" chair, and mats to allow better access to the beach for disabled folks.  The catch is ; I think this is only available during the 'peak' season.  Memorial Day through Labor Day -but it's a start I suppose.

Wow.  That's really awesome.  Thank u.  

5 hours ago, Nick T said:

Sorry to hear that. Beach associations own way too much of the waterfront property in CT.  Often times they’ll have handicap parking, but the rest of the accommodations that they need (ramp, etc.) are non-existant. 

Yep.    

The SP at the mouth of the CT river is a godsend.  Nice long boardwalk along the water.  But we need more piers.   

6 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Nice, I love your fishing reports!

I do my best to try and help others get on fish. Of course, that’s if I’m even getting on them. 

On 4/17/2022 at 10:14 AM, redfin said:

I usually have:

Two pencils, two SS poppers, 6 minnow swimmers in different sizes and colors, 1/2 dozen bt’s and couple tins. 

I’ll bet that fits in a nice small belt bag.  That’s about the same number I carry in a small Aquaskinz bag.  I have to say, on the other side of my belt is a pouch with about 5 bucktail loops and storage for some bags of plastics :th:

As an aside, I would love to find a sailcloth type bag with the same layout and size of that small Aquaskinz size.  I think it’s a perfect size that forces you to carry only what’s needed on your belt for long, comfortable outings on the beach.  If anyone knows of one…….please……..let me know :th:

2 large stick bait 

2 small stick bait

2 pencils

1 small ML swimmer/ pikie

1 large ML swimmer/ pikie

1 or 2 sp minnows

1 or two tins

2-3 rubber

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/17/2022 at 4:39 AM, Skunkoff said:

Usually have to walk a bit to get to my spots.  Usually a backpack with boxes of u-name-it, and other stuff needed for a day out.  I have a couple plug bags and need to start forcing myself to use them and take less crap with me, at least when I plan on doing a lot of moving around.  If I'm using bait that day/night, it means bringing even more crap, because I still want all my u-name-it.

I usually do a ton of walking to get to my spots as well. I put my plug bag inside my backpack and then I’ll take it out at the spots. 

my plug bag will have 12ish lures depending on conditions as some lures are bigger than others. Usually always have a bottle, bottle darter, 9” sluggos, bucktails, pencils, doc, maybe a stickshad, glide bait, needles, plastic swimmers, and that about does it for me. Honestly though if I’m unsure what’s going to work I’ll bring 16-18  lures in a three tube bag that’s stuffed so full you can’t get to any lures haha.

Edited by Reed422

12 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

I’ll bet that fits in a nice small belt bag.  That’s about the same number I carry in a small Aquaskinz bag.  I have to say, on the other side of my belt is a pouch with about 5 bucktail loops and storage for some bags of plastics :th:

As an aside, I would love to find a sailcloth type bag with the same layout and size of that small Aquaskinz size.  I think it’s a perfect size that forces you to carry only what’s needed on your belt for long, comfortable outings on the beach.  If anyone knows of one…….please……..let me know :th:

I still like to carry a single row 5 tube bag like the middle size AZ that has the pouch in front. I had  Comando make up one some years back. Pricey but it is a really nice bag. Even so, I would have no trouble using the middle size AZ 5 tube bag these days. As far as a belt pouch/bag, I was never able to get down to that size. A bit too small for me. I like 2 or 3 plugs in one cylinder and leave it at that. Gives me room to drop in a rarely used needle or sinking minnow on occasion. You make a good point about using a specific pouch for BT's and trailers. That can surely take the weight off the plug bag. 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:04 PM, LockedDrag said:

Depends on what kind of fishing I do.

If I’m looking for numbers, 6 minnows, 2 mag darters, a darter, a 2oz-ish metal lip, couple needles, bucktails, plastics

if I’m hunting big fish, 3 large needles, 2 big metal lips, big plastics, 3 SS darters

I align well with this, but I’ll also say it depends on recent patterns. If I got most of my good fish on a darter the night before, I might lean more towards having a few extra big profile plugs and bigger plastics. Same if the bait of choice was a small plastic, I could leave more of the bigger plugs at home and maybe even bring a smaller bag.

Late season last year I had a hard time figuring out what produced the best, but I knew I was going to be casting into the wind so I had an assortment of plugs that I felt I could get to the spots I thought would hold fish:E1FEBB91-A4F4-4DFE-A5CD-36993C54A635.jpeg.40bbd9871b3ff830e4454436159f1f0b.jpeg

Had a SSLNP with me that trip also but it was still tied on while I rinsed these plugs off

i carry a 2 tube bag on my belt, so i usually can get 2-5 plugs in each tube depending on what im throwing.  I have a single tube bag I can add if im carrying all large plugs so I have a few extras, but typically only use the 2-tube.  It does have slots for bucktails and tins so theres some of those and maybe a large soft plastic or two.  I find that the less I carry the more I have to trust in what im bringing with me and that has made me build confidence in some plugs i didnt have.