Nick T

Surfcasting: How many lures do you bring?

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

Depends on what kind of fishing I do.

If I’m looking for numbers, 6 minnows, 2 mag darters, a darter, a 2oz-ish metal lip, couple needles, bucktails, plastics

if I’m hunting big fish, 3 large needles, 2 big metal lips, big plastics, 3 SS darters

Probably around 10 total, including bucktails and some tin. Whatever fits in my ODM AIO without packing it to the gills.

Usually anywhere from 4-8, sometimes 10 max which is a pita digging through the bag/tubes, depending on conditions I'm expecting and how accessible my vehicle is. Then a bucktail pouch with some tins and different bucktail weights and jigheads. 

2 hours ago, Nick T said:

In surfcasting, you don’t have the luxury of a boat where you can bring all of your lures with you. You have to pick and choose based on the conditions.

How many lures do you typically bring on a single trip that are quickly accessible?  Also, how many in the vehicle?

Anywhere from six to twelve mixed surface, diving and deep,

Darters too.

HH

4 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Depends on what kind of fishing I do.

If I’m looking for numbers, 6 minnows, 2 mag darters, a darter, a 2oz-ish metal lip, couple needles, bucktails, plastics

if I’m hunting big fish, 3 large needles, 2 big metal lips, big plastics, 3 SS darters

Did you end up leaving RI?

Usually have to walk a bit to get to my spots.  Usually a backpack with boxes of u-name-it, and other stuff needed for a day out.  I have a couple plug bags and need to start forcing myself to use them and take less crap with me, at least when I plan on doing a lot of moving around.  If I'm using bait that day/night, it means bringing even more crap, because I still want all my u-name-it.

11 hours ago, Nick T said:

The public beach access in CT is so limited that unfortunately they would never allow that. Forces you to bring more than you need unless you don't mind a 5 minute walk to your car. 

Be glad u can walk.  Think about how a handicapped person deals with it.  My wife uses a walker,  she can't even fish most of the state parks unless they have a pier.   

This state sucks with access and parking. 

I try to travel light, cover more ground and hope for the best.  I use a small surf bag and usually carry two of each- epoxy jigs, topwater, gliders, small swimmers, buck tails and pack of z mans. Also pack another bag in the truck with larger lures if needed. 

3 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

i bring all of them but i only really use 2 of them.

exactly.

and always the same two.

47 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Be glad u can walk.  Think about how a handicapped person deals with it.  My wife uses a walker,  she can't even fish most of the state parks unless they have a pier.   

Sorry to hear that. Beach associations own way too much of the waterfront property in CT.  Often times they’ll have handicap parking, but the rest of the accommodations that they need (ramp, etc.) are non-existant. 

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

I hope things improve in CT, and elsewhere.  This stuff always creeps into my mind as I get older.  

If you take a trip to MA, the north shore; Salisbury State Reservation has staff and a" big wheel" chair, and mats to allow better access to the beach for disabled folks.  The catch is ; I think this is only available during the 'peak' season.  Memorial Day through Labor Day -but it's a start I suppose.

8 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Did you end up leaving RI?

Had a falling out so no lol dodged a bullet

I usually have:

Two pencils, two SS poppers, 6 minnow swimmers in different sizes and colors, 1/2 dozen bt’s and couple tins.