Did daiwa start using better hardware on the SP minnow?

Rate this topic

shaller

I just stocked up on sp minnows and cracked open the packages to switch up the hardware. I pulled out the 3/0 VMCs to put on the 17 size so minnow and realized the hooks on the plug seem to be carbon copies of a 3/0 vmc. Did they start putting good hardware on these things? If so, did the do it for the 15 and 13 size as well?

I did do a quick search and couldn’t seem find any topics on it. Thanks in advance. 

26 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

They sure did upgrade the hardware, I first noticed last year on some of the newer colors. Pay attention tho because you will still see some old stock mixed in with the garbage hardware. New ones are ready to go right out of the package. 

I guess they finally got enough complaints. I swear it looks 17F has 3/0 4x VMCs but usually manufactures like to advertise that sort of thing. 

57 mins ago, cec127 said:

Still not great… this happened yesterday. Split ring was also destroyed. 

AA9D2B21-C3CD-4D53-8118-8CE7D15C0827.jpeg

Damage done by a fish or by a pair of pliers?

I've twisted many a good hook into pretzel shapes removing from bony mouth parts. And  some straightened out by fish but never the split ring, the idea behind a split ring is no leverage. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

The first picture has the 17F hook on the left and a 3/0 4x VMC on the right

Second picture has the 15F hook on the left and a 1/0 4x VMC on the right. 

They genuinely seem to be sturdy hooks. VMC clones if not actual vmc hooks. I would love for someone in the industry to give a wink and a nod 

7A6B341F-C64C-477F-8EC6-5E312BCF4D7F.jpeg

DA65BA3C-34C1-476B-9DCC-26FA450D6E00.jpeg

Edited by shaller

23 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Damage done by a fish or by a pair of pliers?

I've twisted many a good hook into pretzel shapes removing from bony mouth parts. And  some straightened out by fish but never the split ring, the idea behind a split ring is no leverage. 

Done by a striper while kayak fishing. Was fighting the fish for a few minutes. Fish made multiple good runs. Then felt a pop.