fishfinder401

Saltwater fly bag/pack

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, theshadow said:

... the larger the bag the more "stuff" gets packed...

Boy is that ever true. Ask me how I know.....

I typically go with the fishpond sling that I use for trout, but when I'm wanting to shed weight I use an Orvis lanyard. Its small and out of the way, and is functional enough to hold enough critical flies as well as necessary tools and leader. 

Going out for a minimalist day (i.e. I know what to expect) I use a fanny pack. 
Going out on the jetty, where I may sit through a tide change, I use a sling pack.
These above will hold 1-2 spare spools or reels plus fly selection, leader selections, water and food.

Going out for the night or a long walk to the point, I carry a backpack and keep incidentals in my shirt/jacket pockets. Also when weather changes are expected, I keep dry clothes inside the pack in ziplocks or sea to summit dry bag.

Kayaking I use a boat bag with a zip. This does corrode without care, so I rinse and treat after a trip or weekend.

Go-to flies are always in a small case along with 20# tippet spool and pre tied wire leaders in pockets, hemostats and hook sharpener on lanyard, and pliers on the belt.

Maybe make your decision around what you predict your average fishing day will entail?

Did quite a bit of research on this a few yrs ago and ended up with a Patagonia Stormfront sling. Just love it… waterproof, bulletproof and perfect for wading in the surf. Highly recommend. 

On 4/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, fishfinder401 said:

Ooh those zimmer built look great!

And I definitely like trying to go with minimal equipment, although my journey with saltwater flyfishing is still just beggining, so until I learn to really read the conditions and know exactly what I will need I will have to pack a little more. 

A mix of surface and subsurface fly's, different colors and sizes, extra leaders, tippet, an extra spool so I have a floater and sinking line, maybe a boga grip and my pliers

Unlike most commercial packs those zimmerbuilt ones are ultra light.  7 -10 oz.  compared to a pound or two.  I like when i pack just the essentials their is no weight to the sling at all but know just grabbing it, I have everything i need.  The guide sling can stow a splash top or rain jacket.  

I have used them all, sling, hip, shoulder, backpack, those silly necklaces things you can buy that have attachments to hang stuff. waterproof, submersible, and non-waterproof.

They all stink dude.

My favorite is just a fishing shirt or jacket with big chest pockets, pack two fly boxes, and throw some tippet and pre-tied leaders in a ziplock and put it in a zippered pants pocket or waders. You just need to scout the area first, check tides, think about bait around, check wind, so you can plan which flies and line to bring. If you're driving around you can leave all the extra stuff in the car if you think you might need it. But I'm guessing you would only switch lines/rods

Fishpond Thunderhead backpack has been really good for me. I have also used an older Patagonia Stormfront hip/fanny/waist pack. Both have those amazing (truly waterproof) zippers, which adds to the expense. I believe the Fishpond uses a German-made T-Zipper or something. Neither one is "easy" to open and fully close, however, that appears to be the current price to pay for that totally waterproof performance. 

The Patagonia bag has been bombproof and has doubled as a regular bag on some vacation excursions. Same with the Fishpond. Can't go wrong with either.

Good luck!

I have my surf belt with a stripping basket attached to it. It's got a small Aquaskinz surf bag on it that I keep my fly box & leaders. Then I've got a boga grip and a pair of pliers. I try to go fairly minimalist.

I also have a Fishpond Thunderhead sling if I need to take more. An extra spool, different glasses, food & drink, etc.

8 hours ago, Wicked-Fly said:

I have used them all, sling, hip, shoulder, backpack, those silly necklaces things you can buy that have attachments to hang stuff. waterproof, submersible, and non-waterproof.

They all stink dude.

My favorite is just a fishing shirt or jacket with big chest pockets, pack two fly boxes, and throw some tippet and pre-tied leaders in a ziplock and put it in a zippered pants pocket or waders. You just need to scout the area first, check tides, think about bait around, check wind, so you can plan which flies and line to bring. If you're driving around you can leave all the extra stuff in the car if you think you might need it. But I'm guessing you would only switch lines/rods

This is pretty much my approach as well. I keep my stuff in an old fanny pack I had, but prefer to transfer what I need to the pockets of a fishing shirt. Can't carry a spare spool this way, but I never actually seem to use one anyway. I started fishing trout last year and think I will get a vest for that, at least until I've done it enough to know what the true essentials are.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, stormy monday said:

This is pretty much my approach as well. I keep my stuff in an old fanny pack I had, but prefer to transfer what I need to the pockets of a fishing shirt. Can't carry a spare spool this way, but I never actually seem to use one anyway. I started fishing trout last year and think I will get a vest for that, at least until I've done it enough to know what the true essentials are.

I forget the company but there’s a vest that’s also an inflatable life jacket for the boat that I will wear wading some of the bigger flats. Plenty of pockets in the front and a larger pocket on the back for a reel and water bottle. Gets hot though. 

Edited by Wicked-Fly

20 hours ago, stormy monday said:

When fishing trout or most anything else in fresh water, a vest is fine and all I need for full day's fishing. Pockets accepting fly boxes with dries, nymphs, wets, streamers enable you to access what you need packed small and easily accessed.

I fish all 4 seasons.  what I like about a sling is that it offers a place to store clothing when layering up or down. Rain gear, hat, eye protection, headlamp, a snack, etc. 

I really like fishing the bookends of the day.  pitch black into the light or vice versa.  those transition times often require a change of gear.

I could also carry the tippet and the one flybox in a pocket, the sling is for other stuff including regulating my running temp.

My dear departed father used to say "If you want to know the easiest way to do anything ask the laziest guy you know..."  I'm likely in the running.

I have a several fly wallets that come with two sets of ziploc chambers inside a nylon semi-rigid shell.  They have a loop perfect for a stripping basket strap and a pocket big enough for a thing of leader material...or better yet just use one of the ziploc things for leaders - I use one of the chambers for shooting heads so I can carry everything light an easy on my stripping basket which I was going to carry anyways.

When I'm walking the bay shorelines I find that three poppers, three deceivers, and three clousers is all I need.  It all fits in my waders chest pocket with some straight 20lb tippet.  Pliers are on my belt.  Wet wading is different.  When it's warm, I'm usually throwing poppers.  I put them in a MAK bucktail pouch if I'm not wearing a shirt with pockets.