SuzukiGS750EZ

Hook keeper for St Croix jig rod?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Just got a st croix jigging rod and it didn’t have a hook keeper on it. I’ve used the Fuji hook keepers on my freshwater stuff but I feel like they’d be too small. Does anybody have any recommendations?

8 hours ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Just got a st croix jigging rod and it didn’t have a hook keeper on it. I’ve used the Fuji hook keepers on my freshwater stuff but I feel like they’d be too small. Does anybody have any recommendations?

It really isn't terribly hard to wrap on a proper hook keeper and seal it ( or have someone else do it for you for a few bucks, if you can find someone local enough to you )

There's any number of them you could pick up online  as well as a spool of thread and some sealant  

On my personal rods I build i don't tend to run a hook keeper  but for those rods I build for others I tend to prefer a dropshot style hook keeper. 

But style of hook keeper is mostly personal preference

8 hours ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

what model rod is it?

9 hours ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Bring it to Betty and Nicks and have them put one on.  I do this with all of my St. Croix rods.  Why they don't put it on there for you is beyond me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Drill a hole through where you want it and drive a tight fitting nail through it. Post pix when you are done.

:sarc:

Most of the hook keepers I have installed and wrap don’t seem to last long. If you do go this route use a higher grade of stainless as your hooks being attached will influence corrosion . 

I just use rubber bands now. Depending on the lure, I can also protect the blank a little and secure a second set of hooks above it.

Edited by NHAngler

E159F450-D6CC-4A23-A46D-083060464211.jpeg.5caf9a6ca05272557878fb5a28777f0c.jpegNot sure if you can see but this rod had a hook keeper but it was too small for the barbs of a good size hook. Two zip ties did the trick. 

10 hours ago, Foxwoods321 said:

Zip ties with hole as mentioned or $4 for this works better for trebles 

2EE29A38-E363-4ACB-AF03-98A9E5B0C095.jpeg

I have one of those and it didn’t work out like I wanted. The slot is very small and the rubber bands were too tight and were marking my rod (even the larger size). It was a pretty cool idea but I think I paid about $10 at Bass Pro and it didn’t work as well as the zip tie.

the comment above about adding the split ring is going to be my next move! I always have a bunch of those ties for work so it’s basically free.

15 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I use a split ring & zip tie. 

That’s what I do too but it really annoys me that some rods don’t come with a hook holder.