Wild USA Shrimp

Rate this topic

heyblue34

I wonder if I caught some last summer in Long Island Sound.  

For a couple weeks while I was netting grass shrimp, I would catch a few big shrimp.  2-3x bigger than the grass shrimp. I just assumed they were mondo size grass shrimps. 

On 4/18/2022 at 4:25 AM, PSegnatelli said:

For a couple weeks while I was netting grass shrimp, I would catch a few big shrimp.  2-3x bigger than the grass shrimp. I just assumed they were mondo size grass shrimps. 

Last year there was a lot of brown or white shrimp around. First time in recent history I believe. OTW did a video of them catching and eating them. I saw them in RI in late summer when I was launching my kayak and they were much bigger than the grass shrimp.

On 4/18/2022 at 4:25 AM, PSegnatelli said:

maybe Mantis Shrimp. They live in the shallows. Used to catch them when shellfishing...bass love them too

When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person;
it merely says something about our own need to be critical.
-Author Unknown-

On 4/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, Joser said:

Last year there was a lot of brown or white shrimp around. First time in recent history I believe. OTW did a video of them catching and eating them. I saw them in RI in late summer when I was launching my kayak and they were much bigger than the grass shrimp.

I saw a bunch of those in one of the breachways last year. Definitely looked big enough to eat.

They must be cyclical. Seems like I remember seeing them on and off over the years.

Edited by mikez2

2 hours ago, bradW said:

maybe Mantis Shrimp. They live in the shallows. Used to catch them when shellfishing...bass love them too

Brad,

Do you recall how they bite?  More than a few bay scallopers got nailed when culling through a culling board full of scallops and weeds, only to find an angry mantis shrimp hiding.

The Sultan of Sluggo