MikeG_NJ

kayak Crabbing in NJ

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone crabs from your kayak and when you start for the season.  In past years I didn't start till end of June.

Thanks 

47 mins ago, MikeG_NJ said:

I was wondering if anyone crabs from your kayak and when you start for the season.  In past years I didn't start till end of June.

Thanks 

I’ve done it a few times in southern NJ. I tend to go later like August and September. 

Posted (edited)

we just started last year for fun.  no traps. they tend to be more of a hindrance while kayaking.  we both just use 2 hand lines each.  went several times way in the back and had mixed results.  when we go though,our intent is not to solely crab,its usually to take a break from kayaking and see how we do.

we use a small 3lb mushroom anchor. i drill holes in buckets and strap them in the front of the kayak. short handle nets to scoop in the crab and drop into bucket.

mid may  you can start as they will be around,but like everything else they dont move a lot when the water is cold. 

we have gone to several areas off the mullica.   this year i have a new hot spot creek further south that is very quiet during the week and we normally go on tuesdays and i will be taking traps for this spot.

Edited by coolhandfluke

Kayak crabbing is one of my favorite things to do from my kayak....of course when the striper fishing is a bit slow and I am not away on some far away kayak trip.

I have been out 4 times so far this year, starting 4 weeks ago..I have been getting between 3 and 4 dozen each trip.   Anchor up and I use 4 drop lines with chicken legs...usually stay between 3 and 4 hours, depending on the tide.   I use a mesh dive bag with the metal round ring and keep it at my feet.  It's always an adventure, opening up the bag and dropping the crabs in from the scoop net...I wish I had some videos when I missed the mesh bag !!!  LOL

crabs kayak.jpg

crabs cleaned.jpg

crab meal.jpg

On 8/17/2022 at 5:38 PM, Wicked Dan said:

Kayak crabbing is one of my favorite things to do from my kayak....of course when the striper fishing is a bit slow and I am not away on some far away kayak trip.

I have been out 4 times so far this year, starting 4 weeks ago..I have been getting between 3 and 4 dozen each trip.   Anchor up and I use 4 drop lines with chicken legs...usually stay between 3 and 4 hours, depending on the tide.   I use a mesh dive bag with the metal round ring and keep it at my feet.  It's always an adventure, opening up the bag and dropping the crabs in from the scoop net...I wish I had some videos when I missed the mesh bag !!!  LOL

crabs kayak.jpg

crabs cleaned.jpg

crab meal.jpg

That looks fantastic!  Glad to see someone else who does this correctly, clean before cooking!  LOL!  I'm not asking to spot burn, but what general vicinity are you crabbing in?

54 mins ago, atv223 said:

That looks fantastic!  Glad to see someone else who does this correctly, clean before cooking!  LOL!  I'm not asking to spot burn, but what general vicinity are you crabbing in?

Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers.

Yes, now is the time to go. I would typically just try to find a spot with structure and scoop them off with a net out of the yak. 

On 8/21/2022 at 3:35 PM, atv223 said:

Yes, cleaning crabs before is a must.  That meal looks amazing. Most importantly it always tastes better when you catch them yourself. This is my first season kayaking. Haven’t considered crabbing with it just yet. 

I started kayak crabbing this year and its been the easiest way I have found to limit out quick. I have limited out quickly every time I have gone. I am not in NJ but fish up towards MA and I imagine these same techniques will work. I made a couple of videos on how to do this and this one released today explaining the traps have a couple more videos on the channel showing how I crab from a kayak. I focus on the hot summer months as to when to fish. Hope this helps you.