ProSkateFisherman

Favorite braid

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

What is your favorite braid? I love suffix 832 and use it exclusively after using many kinds of braid. I’ve used spider wire, which was ok. I hate normal power pro. Nothing but problems with more than one spool. Superslick v2 isn’t the worst, but I don’t prefer it, especially when it’s more expensive than my beloved suffix 832. I’ve also used kastking braid, which is/was absolute junk. Tested their 30 lb braid, think it was called superpower, and it broke at 20 pounds. Bled like crazy and smelled strange. Tossed it. Glad they sent it to me for free. I also used another one of their braids which I think was better than normal PP, but still not very good. At least that one didn’t have unexplained break offs like PP. After a little while of testing different braids, I just started using suffix and never looked back. Strong, smooth and well price IMO. But that’s just my opinion. So what’s yours?

I think the most of the popular brands are too expensive.  So, I use Hercules 8 strand.  Been using it for a few years now and I like it a lot.  It’s strong and casts smooth and it’s very reasonably priced.  I know the company that makes it.  They are in China and they make the same stuff for lots of manufacturers.  SSV2 is so expensive.  I like Fireline for my vintage reels but it’s so expensive too.  I’ll just stick with Hercules 

Posted (edited)

Hmm.... glad I saw your experience with the Kastking. I might have to ditch it after a review like that. I picked up a couple hundred yard spool of 50lb from them that I was intending to use this year (mainly because I couldn't find 832 in stock). I did manage to just get a large (1200 yard) spool of 40lb 832, so I will just go with that.

Edited by FallenKell

12 mins ago, FallenKell said:

Hmm.... glad I saw your experience with the Kastking. I might have to ditch it after a review like that. I picked up a couple hundred yard spool of 50lb from them that I was intending to use this year (mainly because I couldn't find 832 in stock). I did manage to just get a large (1200 yard) spool of 40lb 832, so I will just go with that.

Don’t let those Amazon reviews fool you… most of those people are vacation fishermen or beginners, which it is probably fine for. But for the more experienced fisherman who puts in the hours, it is horrible. I’d bet you that 40 pound 832 is stronger than 50 pound krapking. I’ve used their entry level baitcaster, the royale legend. It has to be the junkiest casting reel ever made. Plastic plastic plastic. Made this crazy loud buzz in free spool. That guy extreme Philly fishing was the one who convinced me to use kastking stuff… don’t know why he would use it. I will say that not all Amazon brands are complete junk. I’m using an “M Maximumcatch” brand fly rod I got for $50 as an entry level 8w fly rod and it’s actually really nice, at least so far. But for something as vital to landing a fish as the line is, NEVER cheap out on your line. Your rod can snap and the reel can lock up, but if the line is still intact, you can at least try to land the fish. A strong line is the #1 most important thing for a setup, next to the reel and hook.

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Don’t let those Amazon reviews fool you… most of those people are vacation fishermen or beginners, which it is probably fine for. But for the more experienced fisherman who puts in the hours, it is horrible. I’d bet you that 40 pound 832 is stronger than 50 pound krapking. I’ve used their entry level baitcaster, the royale legend. It has to be the junkiest casting reel ever made. Plastic plastic plastic. Made this crazy loud buzz in free spool. That guy extreme Philly fishing was the one who convinced me to use kastking stuff… don’t know why he would use it. I will say that not all Amazon brands are complete junk. I’m using an “M Maximumcatch” brand fly rod I got for $50 as an entry level 8w fly rod and it’s actually really nice, at least so far. But for something as vital to landing a fish as the line is, NEVER cheap out on your line. Your rod can snap and the reel can lock up, but if the line is still intact, you can at least try to land the fish. A strong line is the #1 most important thing for a setup, next to the reel and hook.

Yeah, the amazon reviews are what got me (and the fact that I simply couldn't find 832 at the time, everything was out of stock or with huge price markups). It is also why just the single review on here had me questioning it enough that I am pretty sure I am dumping it.

Edited by FallenKell

I have been using Diamond braid for a while for lots of different applications and have been happy. It looks like they have recently released a gen3 (I’ve only used the gen2) that I’m hoping to try soon.

Really been enjoying Daiwa J-Braid x8 and x8 Grand on my saltwater outfits, 20 and 30lb.

Just picked up some 10lb YoZuri Super Braid for a light freshwater outfit and so far totally dig it. 

Big fan of the 832. Only tried a handful of different braids (the main ones like PP and Spider wire) but 832 works perfectly for me so I have no reason to try anything else. Stick with it if it works! 

832 or superslick (which has a break in period).  Maybe expensive but the stuff lasts forever. 

Jbraid x8 is good enough for me. I have diamond on a few reels and it is good. Super slick v2 on one reel that performs flawlessly. spiderwire is awesome. For my fishing I don't need fancy braids but I won't use original PP or jbraid x4. I do like 832 but don't ever use it because I just use what's available at the local shop at the time and it's never 832.