TheClamGovernor

How to cover holes for belly weights

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Hello, I am looking into starting to build and my biggest question thus far is how people cover the holes for the belly weights. I cannot seem to find this information anywhere!

Posted (edited)

Many ways to skin the cat.  Some use Bondo, other epoxy and saw dust.  If you need fast super glue and baking soda works.  Just make sure whatever you use is no harder than the wood, and waterproof.  System 3 makes a great product, called sculpwood.

It has no function other than aesthetics, some prefer to simply shave down the lead flush with the body.  Hope this helps 

Tommy

Edited by t_man7

19 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Many ways to skin the cat.  Some use Bondo, other epoxy and saw dust.  If you need fast super glue and baking soda works.  Just make sure whatever you use is no harder than the wood, and waterproof.  System 3 makes a great product, called sculpwood.

It has no function other than aesthetics, some prefer to simply shave down the lead flush with the body.  Hope this helps 

Tommy

Thanks Tommy! that makes sense and clears a lot of confusion!

J&B kwikwood.   Easy to use, sands easily and you’ll never know there was hole there. 

I use bondo, but for quick and dirty when I don't care about hiding the lead i've used titebond wood glue under the weight.

Might try the kwikwood myself.

Thank you! I will look into it, currently trying to get everything I need and this might make it into the cart!

I use Minwax 2-part wood filler and have never had an issue; the stuff works great.

I've been using JB marine epoxy. Doesn't seem to sand well, should I use something else?

Another option is plumbers epoxy, comes in a tube at Homies, cut a chunk of and roll it in your hands to mix and warm it, fills easily and hardens up. Don't overfill, stuff is harder than the wood.

On 4/18/2022 at 8:22 PM, Ed White said:

Another option is plumbers epoxy, comes in a tube at Homies, cut a chunk of and roll it in your hands to mix and warm it, fills easily and hardens up. Don't overfill, stuff is harder than the wood.

That's what I use.  Very easy

Jb quick wood here . Easy to use sands nicely , and dries rock hard in less then 30 mins usually . Never an issue with it