Construction on backside of Demo

Rate this topic

Carpniels

I was visiting my MIL again on LI and went for a LONG walk across Democrat Point. What's going on there? Lots of tug boats, barges, very long driller pipes, buoys, etc. on the backside. A large stretch of the coast was flattened and I remember there being lots of trees, bush, shrubs, etc. along that stretch butting up to the waterfront, but they all seem to have been removed... Now there is acres of dry sand with NOTHING on it. It seems very weird that this is construction is an improvement, especially removing all the vegetation. 

Also, as you drive in with your beach buggy (about 1/4 mile in from the road), there used to be a stretch of rocks that many people would fish from on the backside (it's more like the GSB there), the side where you first see the water when you drive in and the rocks are on the right side. Many of those rocks have disappeared. I remember it being one long stretch of rocks with many people often fishing there. Now it's just a few patches of low rocks with lots of breaks where water enters the 'road'.  It's so weird to see that those rocks 'washed away' (or whatever happened).

I guess it makes for better fluke fishing across the backside with all that sand, but it can't be an improvement for stripers or blues...  Or perhaps I am wrong...

LMK what you know.  Carpniels

Fisherman with 4 sons. I hope they all catch the 'bug' so I have a good excuse to leave the house and go fishing.

Newsday just carried an article about sand from Fire Island Inlet being pumped to Gilgo, so that Gilgo could be reopened for 4x4s.  That makes sense, as they've done that before.

I've also heard, from a semi-reliable source quoting an ACoE document, that the changes at Democrat really are intended to provide better plover nesting habitat.

On the other hand, I've heard that the inlet channel is effectively unchanged, so I'm not sure where any dredging and sand transfer took place.

If my marina really puts my boat in this week, maybe i'll take a ride down and get a look.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

32 mins ago, CWitek said:

Newsday just carried an article about sand from Fire Island Inlet being pumped to Gilgo, so that Gilgo could be reopened for 4x4s.  That makes sense, as they've done that before.

I've also heard, from a semi-reliable source quoting an ACoE document, that the changes at Democrat really are intended to provide better plover nesting habitat.

On the other hand, I've heard that the inlet channel is effectively unchanged, so I'm not sure where any dredging and sand transfer took place.

If my marina really puts my boat in this week, maybe i'll take a ride down and get a look.

Gilgo is a freaking joke, they basically pumped sand for soccer mom non-fishing beach 

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

12 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Gilgo is a freaking joke, they basically pumped sand for soccer mom non-fishing beach 

From what I see when I run the inlet, that sounds about right.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

On 4/11/2022 at 2:52 PM, Sandflee said:

Bingo. Make Gilgo a piping plover habitat and reopen 4x4 access to the point because that walk blows lol

Where do you go when the lights go out?

On 4/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, JimmyBean said:

used to slay big blues over there.

USED TO!!!!!!!

:howdy:

Not any more

And not just blues, rest of the fish, too.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

• 4 weeks later...

Flew over it coming back from Florida on Thursday. Didn't think to grab the phone to take a pic until it was too late. The place looks shot. Completely flat & barren from the jetty looking west, and big salt puddles all over it. Forget about driving on it. They destroyed it :dismay:. What a waste of tax money. 

- Life is a waiting room, I hope they don't call me soon...... 

- Thomas Jefferson - "The course of history shows that as government grows, liberty decreases"

Our flag doesn’t fly because the wind that moves it. It flies with the breath of every fallen solider who protected it.

It shows how much they know about preserving natural habitat.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

I just find it funny how every GSB revitalization plan claims how the marshes are gone and shellfish are gone sooo lets bulldoze an entire salt pond and marsh teeming with life. That was a nursery for blue crabs and many other species. Plovers are the top of the food chain when it comes to protection and provide the least benefit to the environment 

What else is new. Ass backwards.

2 hours ago, pequa11 said:

any chance that last storm got rid of the effing plovers ?    water was up to the dunes at Tobay with a big Lagoon between the dunes and the berm.

Yea I saw that not much left there ..

smith point was similar . There will be no driving on fins anywhere near high tide ..  the salvage company’s gonna clean up this year