Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bergallmaster

Repowering opinions

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Im very strongly leaning towards repowering the new beast. Max hp is rated for 235. I cant find the max weight. Im looking at a suzuki df200 weighs 580lbs. Suzuki df175 weighs 480. I like the 4 strokes but should i look for a etec or yami hdpi due to weight?

22 mins ago, makorider said:

What did the old 235s weigh??  380-400ish??

Start loading sandbags in the stern and see how she sits

Just saw your post in the other topic. Whats your top speed wot with the 175? Im not looking for speed demon but 35 would be nice.

5 mins ago, Bergallmaster said:

Just saw your post in the other topic. Whats your top speed wot with the 175? Im not looking for speed demon but 35 would be nice.

Oh I think so easy.  Honestly, I haven't been up and ran that boat in probably 3 years...did run it a decent amount prior...I want to say 4000 gave 26-28ish...but cant remember particulars.  And that said, there is a beat aluminum prop on it.  Uncles didn't want a stainless, afraid of a rock.  I didn't get any say.  And that prop, while not beat up, is far from optimum.

My wife might kill me. Just ran across a 2006 etec 200 for 5500. Problem is theres a 23' bayliner and trailer attached to the engine.

On a lark i called a dealer to see what they had used. He has a nib evinrude g2 for 15k. Its a bit more than i wanted to spend but im thinking about it. Heres the fun part. Supposedly evinrude is starting production again. 

2 mins ago, Bergallmaster said:

On a lark i called a dealer to see what they had used. He has a nib evinrude g2 for 15k. Its a bit more than i wanted to spend but im thinking about it. Heres the fun part. Supposedly evinrude is starting production again. 

I heard some rumors to that effect, but I heard it wasn't bombardier, someone else was buying it.

I like the etec, no complaints at all.

1 min ago, Billybob said:

I heard some rumors to that effect, but I heard it wasn't bombardier, someone else was buying it.

You have the g1 correct? What year what size?

7 mins ago, Billybob said:

+1

175 at the champlain camp.  2012 maybe? 2014?  Zero issues and it gets its pants run off it.

'push button' winterizing is pretty cool, given its a shared boat amongst the family and NO ONE wants to do maintenance

I hear G2s are even more efficient?

32 mins ago, Bergallmaster said:

You have the g1 correct? What year what size?

It's about 3 years old, a 115 on Drews Mako 17 - just put a new waterpump on it Sunday.

Didn't really need it.

For that old Mako, the etec is perfect, a 4 stroke would be a bit too heavy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I pulled the trigger on a 2008 200 etec. Has 950 hours on it. Compression was 120 on all 6 cyl. I love modern diagnostics on these things. EMM has never gone above 160 and engine hit 178 max. Engine spent almost all its life in the 1500 to 4500 rpm with only about 3 hours above 5k. I paid a little more than i was hoping but he included everything. Prop, tach, controls, key, oil tank and 4 gal of xd100, some spare filters, seastar ram. 

Little hint- if you use a minivan to move it, remove the lower unit. Its much easier to get in. Im gonna replace the pump anyway so it was worth it.

20220507_104519.jpg

Edited by Bergallmaster

Working on it now. I decided to use the old binnacle control. The new one requires a much larger hole. Where its mounted, the new one might create some wonkiness with the control cables sticking into the cabin and the handle is more towards the windshield. This means i have to adapt the trim connector. I could cut the ends and just splice them but id rather get the deutsch connector and do it right. New oil tank is smaller so i had to move 1 mounting bolt 1" back. Set the drill bit in the chuck same depth as bolt. Drill bit came loose. Retightened the chuck without thinking and went through the bottom of the boat. :banghd:

Also iirc the end of the steering cable where the rod bolts in is supposed to spin a little correct?  Mine wiggles very little. 

Unfortunately the clutch in my wifes car went on Wednesday so i have no car. Gotta pick up parts tomorrow.