R.R. Bridge Fisher

HUMMINGBIRDS

Rate this topic

190 posts in this topic

There not as aggressive the last week or so here....more playful in their antics.   Looks like their choosing partners for the winter vacation down south....it's a long drive!  :)

If you want to get rid of yellow jackets buy some of the Terro liquid ant bait and apply it to something in the area where they feed. They will take it back to the nest just like ants do.

9 hours ago, MikeBlue said:

If you want to get rid of yellow jackets buy some of the Terro liquid ant bait and apply it to something in the area where they feed. They will take it back to the nest just like ants do.

What about the other bees?

We still have 2 males and 3 females on our feeders here in central CT. We put these bee traps up around the perimeter of the hummingbird feeders and they have kept the bees off the feeders. First couple of days, I had to empty the traps twice a day. Now, it takes 3 days to fill. They haven't kept the bees off the jelly in the Oriole feeders.

1.jpg

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What about the other bees?

That's a good question. Are there bees on your humming bird feeders? We have yellow jackets on our oriole jelly feeders but not on our hummingbird feeders, but no bees on either. An online search says that if it works on ants it will also work on bees so if you have bees around don't use Terro.

12 mins ago, MikeBlue said:

That's a good question. Are there bees on your humming bird feeders? We have yellow jackets on our oriole jelly feeders but not on our hummingbird feeders, but no bees on either. An online search says that if it works on ants it will also work on bees so if you have bees around don't use Terro.

Yes lots of bees , my wife just asked me to move the one feeder off the deck away from where we sit.

Is the party over? 

I had to go out of the area yesterday, made sure to fill the feeders the night previous. 

Where I'm usually filing the feeders twice a day I don't think they consumed 50% total from late Sunday evening to today (Tuesday) morning at 9:45.

Have only seen a single hummer this morning.

Did catch sight of a hummingbird moth yesterday, first I've spotted this year.

I'm watching 2 females on a feeder as I type (upper buzzards bay).  Just had two males chasing each other behind me which is their usual MO.  Have 4 feeders working.  We're gonna miss them.

Big uptick in activity here.   Males and females. Still chasing each other all over the yard.

They're doing this curious thing they do late in the season.  The birds are coming right up to the window. Often within inches, and appears to either be looking at their reflection, or looking in the home. 

Posted (edited)

45 mins ago, bob_G said:

Big uptick in activity here.   Males and females. Still chasing each other all over the yard.

They're doing this curious thing they do late in the season.  The birds are coming right up to the window. Often within inches, and appears to either be looking at their reflection, or looking in the home. 

I replaced my bad fluorescent tubes in my basement shop with used some kind of spectrum ones. Bulk head was open and two hummers flew in and buzzed the lights. I was able to safely catch them with my hands, show my wife then released back outside unharmed. Do you have a light or anything red that would make them come so close to the window ? Thanks.

Edited by ribeye
added word

6 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I saw one at your sedum yesterday, flowers are not even open yet.

Hey you, get away from my sedum!

says the -grumpy old man in Central MA-

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

I noticed that for the first time here a week or so ago.    Not just the window though.   I was outside grilling and one flew up within a foot of me and hovered at eye level.   Maybe it saw its reflection in the sunglasses. :shrug: