R.R. Bridge Fisher

HUMMINGBIRDS

Rate this topic

190 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, bb1 said:

Yes twice a week is what I have heard.   My neighbor said something about their beaks being damaged over time from bad nectar?

I have 2 feeders now, but usually just have some nectar in the fridge & 1/2 refill after a quick rinsing.

When my feeder runs out, the birds get angry....& peck at the clear part of the feeder, :0

The feeder I have out now is a little sticky as I spilt when filling....now some won't perch.

Sounds like you're on the right track. :th:

worked in the yard today and a hummingbird came up to face me for a moment (curious, I guess) before moving to the feeder about 30 yards away...face to face was really cool...

On 5/15/2022 at 0:50 PM, oldgoat said:

How long do I need to hum before they show up.

It might speed things up if you flap your wings too, 

On the porch today a male oriole flew all around the hanging flowers and settled on the hummingbird feeder where he proceeded to drink from the little holes foe 5 minutes.  Never saw anything but hummingbirds eat from their feeders.

These guys are very territorial now. Sometimes 4 at a time pushing others away. 

I can't figure out who's who they are so fast.

Also a fair amount of bees on the feeders.

24 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

These guys are very territorial now. Sometimes 4 at a time pushing others away. 

I can't figure out who's who they are so fast.

Also a fair amount of bees on the feeders.

Yeah, they're crazy.

My buddy has a bear that keeps getting into his. Never had that happen here, just when the sunflower seeds are out for the other birds.

Same here, some perching & monitoring the feeder....then dive bombing others.

Sometimes 3 or 4 or 5 racing around chasing each other (hard to count).

And fluttering in-place more often....1 almost at arms length from my face!

On 8/13/2022 at 8:09 AM, Eagles Dare said:

Yeah, they're crazy.

My buddy has a bear that keeps getting into his. Never had that happen here, just when the sunflower seeds are out for the other birds.

Stopped putting out humming bird feeder a few years ago, bears would stop by, pop the top and have a refreshing drink and then be on their way.............

4 hours ago, b-ware said:

Stopped putting out humming bird feeder a few years ago, bears would stop by, pop the top and have a refreshing drink and then be on their way.............

What about some kind of rope and pulley system 

I have 3 feeders out and two both have dedicated male defenders that perch nearby and aggressively swoop in on any intruders.  They will allow their chosen female to feed and attack all others.  I get tired just watching how active the defender has to be to protect his feeder...

Yeah they are defensive for sure. Fun watching them. I feed my hummers the same thing I feed my bees. Empty 1 gallon water jug. 4 lbs of sugar then fill with water to top. Pretty much 1 to 1. I buy 25 lb bags at BJ’s.gone thru 75 lbs. so far and will need more for the fall.  

6 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Yeah they are defensive for sure. Fun watching them. I feed my hummers the same thing I feed my bees. Empty 1 gallon water jug. 4 lbs of sugar then fill with water to top. Pretty much 1 to 1. I buy 25 lb bags at BJ’s.gone thru 75 lbs. so far and will need more for the fall.  

I do 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water

Yours must be in hyperspeed...

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What about some kind of rope and pulley system 

Easier to plant flowers and let them feed naturaly................