R.R. Bridge Fisher

HUMMINGBIRDS

Rate this topic

178 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2022 at 7:38 AM, FoliFish said:

We have at least one male at the feeder pretty regularly.  He (they) only seem interested in the feeders that hang from the windows with suction cups.  The stand-alone feeder hasn't seen much action as was the case last year.  Maybe the house provides a level of cover/protection?

I was thinking the same thing, I didn't have any for a week....but my next door neighbor had plenty, on his feeder hanging from his overhang next to a picture window.

I saw my first female the last 2 days.   Didn't refresh my feeder for over a week, seeing it's so COLD out.

I am ten miles north of Boston.  Filled my feeders Thursday.  I saw them Saturday and Sunday.

Got my first male yesterday.  After putting out my regular feeder w/ a perch.   It's more fun to see them when they stick around & perch for a while....brought out my binoculars for the first time this year too.

Took a few days but finally got a pic of the female. Don't know why she was playing hard to get she ain't all that good looken .IMG_5189.JPG.1db7ae06e6dea421ead8e9c0307a3fa8.JPG

Last week.....on a single day I saw a couple of Ruby's, 3 Baltimore Orioles (males & female), and a  resident Peregrine Falcon eat

a field mouse in my backyard.   

Plus all the other usual cast of characters.....wild turkeys, deer, and a ton of typical New England bird 

species.  

I could do without the volume of tick carrying turkeys and deer though.   

I just saw the wildest colored hummingbird in my life....like a dark chartreuse & to other BRIGHT colors (can't remember what they were, maybe red & blue?)

I was sitting on my deck, watching the usual birds, at one time about 4 or 5 hummingbird bouncing around the trees in back.   It's on now.

I want to see that BRIGHT one again!

Ive got hummingbirds all day, makes and females.  But no orioles or grosbeaks yet.  I have the jelly feeder ready to go.

Posted (edited)

On 5/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, flylikabird said:

Last week.....on a single day I saw a couple of Ruby's, 3 Baltimore Orioles (males & female), and a  resident Peregrine Falcon eat

a field mouse in my backyard.   

:th: Actually a pretty unusual thing to see, they hunt birds almost exclusively.

I've seen them hunt birds many times but never mice. I had to look it up but turns out they do take , on rare occasions, take mice/ mammals.

You were lucky to see that.

Edited by Plug and teaser

As far as feeder locations, I moved one of my feeders up off the edge of the deck.full afternoon sun.

I noticed that I get the hummies early and late in the day. 

I'm thinking in the summer it will get too hot. Anybody have feeders in full sun?

On 5/12/2022 at 6:49 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

As far as feeder locations, I moved one of my feeders up off the edge of the deck.full afternoon sun.

I noticed that I get the hummies early and late in the day. 

I'm thinking in the summer it will get too hot. Anybody have feeders in full sun?

I have feeder in sun and I have no issue with hummers using it. 

I have a feeder in the sun half the day on near my deck.  Have been having a ton of activity all day - male and female and two or three at the same time competing for the nectar.  Put up the feeder two weeks ago and had one within 15 minutes.  Seems they are in full swing now....

My feeder is in the sun & the birds are on it all day.  I guess the homemade nectar doesn't last as long....or does it last longer when warm?  

I read hummingbirds feed every 15 min.  So they go for the easy....

35 mins ago, bb1 said:

My feeder is in the sun & the birds are on it all day.  I guess the homemade nectar doesn't last as long....or does it last longer when warm?  

I read hummingbirds feed every 15 min.  So they go for the easy....

This time of year you can easily allow your homemade nectar to remain in the feeder a week IMO.  But as soon as the temps begin reaching 80*, you probably should replace it every few days. It ferments, and can make the birds ill.  That why we use those small feeders, and have backups ready to go, and swap out.

Yes twice a week is what I have heard.   My neighbor said something about their beaks being damaged over time from bad nectar?

I have 2 feeders now, but usually just have some nectar in the fridge & 1/2 refill after a quick rinsing.

When my feeder runs out, the birds get angry....& peck at the clear part of the feeder, :0

The feeder I have out now is a little sticky as I spilt when filling....now some won't perch.