R.R. Bridge Fisher

HUMMINGBIRDS

Rate this topic

190 posts in this topic

I took mine down a little while ago. Had my last bird late Monday and didn't see any since . I'll give it a week after my last sighting before I yank them down .

Posted (edited)

Yes, hummingbirds.  The ruby throat breeds here, but 5 other species have been recorded in Massachusetts, Rufous, Black-chinned, Calliope, Allens's, and Broad-billed.  Those 5 are probably rare vagrants.  

Edited by isleomaniac
add info

5 hours ago, isleomaniac said:

Yes, hummingbirds.  The ruby throat breeds here, but 5 other species have been recorded in Massachusetts, Rufous, Black-chinned, Calliope, Allens's, and Broad-billed.  Those 5 are probably rare vagrants.  

Really interesting.

I'm really into birds, and had no idea other species of hummingbirds ever visited our area.

Our last was Sunday.

No feeders but good numbers on our plants this year.

Hummer1.jpg.64f8d6a6193ce522249d406a9f28f591.jpg

It's ok, the cool kids are in town,  passing through heading South

632a66dbbd275_Parula1.jpg.a0c4e5422db70c0916bdef05857e24db.jpg

10 hours ago, isleomaniac said:

I had a Rufous sided hummingbird at my feeders like 14 or 15 years ago. It hung around till dark. Next day it was reported in Framingham or Natick . A few days later it was found down the Cape. Can't recall where exactly though . Story was it hung there for a week or two then kicked rocks. Probably continued migrating east and ended up in the drink . I guess that birds internal compass was messed up and went east from the west coast all the way. Not common for that to happen but not overly rare either . 

Thought we were done, but this one showed up this AM .

It was feeding in the flower boxes on the deck on and off all day, right through the storms.

632ce04f68bbe_Hummingbirdinrain.jpg.ec07f89d3bc7e00921bac15d1163a59c.jpg

Posted (edited)

Had one at the feeder a few minutes ago.Took a good drink and was gone.I'll leave the feeder out for another week.Great picture.:th:

Edited by Chumslick1

We brought our feeders in today, they hadn't been touched for several days. Cleaned them, and put away till next year.

Still seeing them here in Maine as of this morning.  For you guys south of here I would leave them out for another couple of weeks. 

The large female was gone today, but this young male showed up and was feeding all day.

We have several of these plants, they've been on them all summer.

hummer2.jpg.5252e8d22ef7541843b3b7ffdac0c2c7.jpg

On 9/25/2022 at 9:58 PM, Plug and teaser said:

The large female was gone today, but this young male showed up and was feeding all day.

We have several of these plants, they've been on them all summer.

hummer2.jpg.5252e8d22ef7541843b3b7ffdac0c2c7.jpg

Dumb question, and I suppose I should know this.

But how can you tell it's a young male?