R.R. Bridge Fisher

HUMMINGBIRDS

Rate this topic

190 posts in this topic

I just cleaned up my 2 feeders the best I could without anything too strong for the birds.

When do you all start to see them at your feeders? I only have a couple flowers in bloom in my yard.

I saw a feeder online that was like a pie plate that allowed several birds to feed at once. It looked cool but towards the end of the summer the birds here are so territorial they chase others away from the feeders and I fear if I buy it only 1 at a time would feed.

Any thoughts?

I hang mine end of April. Had several visit in may but neighbors spray for mosquitos they never returned. 

End of April or Early May. I have two feeders and I believe both have 4 spots to feed from. I don't see any issue. Yes when one bird is feeding another will often try to move it off. I think the hummers are going to battle even if you have one tube that they feed from.

You don't have to buy the red food. I mix regular sugar with water. 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. So that's 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water. 1/2 cup sugar to 2 cups water. Dissolve the sugar in hot water. Let cool to about room temp and put in feeder.

Having flowers that they like around the yard is helpful.

they just drained three of ours here in San Antonio.  Like - drank down to zero.  Only been out a couple of days.  

4 hours ago, Jighead75 said:

I hang mine end of April. Had several visit in may but neighbors spray for mosquitos they never returned. 

3 hours ago, JimKu said:

End of April or Early May. I have two feeders and I believe both have 4 spots to feed from. I don't see any issue. Yes when one bird is feeding another will often try to move it off. I think the hummers are going to battle even if you have one tube that they feed from.

You don't have to buy the red food. I mix regular sugar with water. 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. So that's 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water. 1/2 cup sugar to 2 cups water. Dissolve the sugar in hot water. Let cool to about room temp and put in feeder.

Having flowers that they like around the yard is helpful.

As stated above, we'll also hang out ours late in April. Two years ago we hung ours out sometime around the third week in April. Hung the feeders, by the time we walked into the house, we had a bird already feeding. Almost like he was waiting for us. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

As stated above, we'll also hang out ours late in April. Two years ago we hung ours out sometime around the third week in April. Hung the feeders, by the time we walked into the house, we had a bird already feeding. Almost like he was waiting for us. 

What type feeders work best for you? I bought some fancy ones and they won't go near them

3 hours ago, K Foley said:

What type feeders work best for you? I bought some fancy ones and they won't go near them

Kevin,

We had the same problem. We bought fancy, expensive feeders and they wouldn't go near them.  All we were doing was wasting syrup and feeding ants.

Then I saw these el cheapo ones at the Tractor Supply and tried them. The birds love em. They worked so well, we bought a couple sets and just swap them out when they need to be refilled or washed.

IMG_20210501_140419.jpg

yep, just get the cheap-assed ones.  The fancy glass-blown with all the colors...??  Nope. Cheap plastic ones...?? Yup, they flock to them.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks, I'll go see Mike Thomas @ TSC in Plympton

Edited by K Foley
spelling

Yup, the simple cheap plastic ones work best.

As for timing, when you see orioles the hummers are here as well.

I'll probably put them up this week. A little early, but have to take the regular feeders down before Boo Boo gets them. Might as well have something up.

You have to put them out now, the report is that Rockport, Bridgewater,  Fall River, have seen them, Google, 2022 hummingbird migration map, it will show where they are

Ours will go out this weekend.  

Last year we waited until 1st weekend in May and it was late.   Had a male come flying up to the hook look around then took off as feeder wasn't out.   They went out that afternoon.  

They make a little cup that hangs on the line that holds the feeder.  Put water in it and ants can’t get bye it