Lost with Fluorocarbon leader

Rate this topic

JakerSurf

I have not used fluoro yet and find conflicting info everywhere. I have just started plugging for stripers, mostly in the surf, in the last year or two and have simply used either 30 or 40 lb mono for my leaders. I had it on hand and it works. But the blues are coming soon and traditionally I tied on a wire leader when blue fishing. The blues will be hitting my striper plugs and I am not sure what weight leader to use and if fluoro is even the way to go. Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by JakerSurf

I use both mono and fluoro, and I don't really think there's a big difference between the two except that it seems fluorocarbon is stiffer and maybe a little bit more abrasion resistant. Mono will work for just about anything. I use a fluoro more because I have a massive surplus of it. I'd say use mono. It's cheaper, and easier to tie knots with heavier line. If you're going to use fluoro, don't go over 40-50 pound line. Agree with using Ande. Never used big game.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

I've shunned the mono since the 90's will probably never look back.

Is there a difference .....ahhh yup.

Many ways to skin a dump truck.....many ways.

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

Flouro for me, I always use it, even for big game (Tuna). I have seen it make a big difference in the number of hits too many times to go bask to mono... If the blues are a problem I might put a 4-6" wire leader at the end of my flour and use plugs with only hooks in the back...

5 hours ago, JakerSurf said:

The blues will be hitting my striper plugs and I am not sure what weight leader to use and if fluoro is even the way to go. Any advice is appreciated.

I use 40lb flouro leaders when I fish for blues & stripers. I very rarely have a blue bite off my lure. If they do, it's because I wasn't targeting blues and I'm using a small lure or the water it's windy with rough surf and they don't get a clean shot at the lure. In the last 10 years I think I've had one bite off by blues on 40lb fluoro.

However I have had gators chomp off 1/2 my paddle tail fairly often. :) 

I've been using 60lb Big Game for all my leaders the past few years. Open beaches here in NJ.  One video I saw Bill Wetzel say he uses 80lb.  That's out among the rocks at Montauk.  A lot of what he says makes sense. His rough quote was " you are throwing a big wood plugs with a bunch of hooks dangling off it and you're worried about the leader spooking a fish".

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

Mostly see blue water boys and fly guys talking about fluoro, gotta understand mono is usually about 10-15% thicker in diameter for same breaking strength depending on brand, also if you're free floating a bait mono tends to curl more than fluoro and can make a problem for fly guys. People say they get more eats on fluoro but probably don't realize the diameter difference and assume it's cause it's 'invisible' or a better material to prevent visibility to fish

almost every marketed benefit for fluoro has been proven false i.e. more abrasion resistant, no stretch, yada yada, it's a lil silly to think the 'invisibility' is true too 

Edited by Snook_Slayr