Hokahey

Bad news for west coast

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Madraz said:

It doesn't help when one of the popular & prolific bay area youtubers is encouraging people to take home the stripers they catch since they eat all the salmon juveniles (his words not mine) and that's what he likes to catch most. You only have to read his fan boy comments to see what his followers think of catch and release, its depressing.

That sounds like some of the dumb asses we have up here in Washington.

They'll toss bull trout up on the bank because they eat salmon and steelhead smolts, fry and eggs.

Same goes for the idiots that blame cutthroat for doing the same thing. In most cases, it is native fish eating hatchery fish, but lets blame them for what they naturally do.

Clipping adipose fins off native steelhead smolts so they can keep them as hatchery fish when they return is another idiotic move people do up here.

SF

1 hour ago, Madraz said:

It doesn't help when one of the popular & prolific bay area youtubers is encouraging people to take home the stripers they catch since they eat all the salmon juveniles (his words not mine) and that's what he likes to catch most. You only have to read his fan boy comments to see what his followers think of catch and release, its depressing.

I think he eats everything he catches so blaming stripers is just an ignorant excuse... Btw his making money by making his video more controversial.

1 hour ago, Dieseldrvr said:

Would it be a guy from SF with merch and a line of tackle? (Honest ?)

I think they're all over the bay area from Monterey, Santa Cruz, Daly City, Especially in San Francisco.

6 hours ago, Madraz said:

Well let’s call him out try educating him. There are plenty of long time Salmon guides that can put it all in perspective for him. You can send me a PM if don’t want to advertise his site  by posting here. Thanks

Lee

On 4/15/2022 at 2:29 PM, Dieseldrvr said:

Would it be a guy from SF with merch and a line of tackle? (Honest ?)

No its not Matts, this guy posts several times a week and a lot of his content is around Santa Cruz. I forget his channel name, I've never watched any of his videos since and won't bother in the future, it pissed me off to be honest. He is always hawking one lure in particular some sp minnow rip off.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Early Europeans said you could walk across the river on the backs of the salmon and not get your feet wet.

Early Europeans also said if you sailed west you would sail off the edge of the earth.....

He's out there fishing salmon six months of the year.

He wonders why the salmon are declining.

Most people don't know why salmon die after spawning.

Cause they don't eat. I guess he don't know either.

Someone tell him that “Essentially many of the activities that operate in immature salmon to allow them to maintain their health, grow and mature are turned off after maturation, and without maintenance they pretty rapidly ‘fall apart’.”

OMG I can't watch any more of this Water District Commercial

Edited by moocks

On 4/16/2022 at 3:08 PM, Madraz said:

No its not Matts, this guy posts several times a week and a lot of his content is around Santa Cruz. I forget his channel name, I've never watched any of his videos since and won't bother in the future, it pissed me off to be honest. He is always hawking one lure in particular some sp minnow rip off.

Yeah, I know who you are talking about. That was lame. I think he said that on one video trying to justify why he keeps stripers … but I don’t think he repeated that again and I watch that channel and all the rest of the Bay Area youtuber crowd.

But, I can’t blame the guy who keeps “legal size” fish when I see people take undersize fish all the time…. 

thank you all for feedback . I wanna say even though our situation with striped bass and  dfg is in the crapper I believe if we start and continue to promote catch and release ourselves and lead by example we can still make a positive change or at least keep enough fish around for when we can get a change to regs from dfg . Just by leading by example and releasing fish other people will question themselves like maybe they should release fish more .