Hokahey

Bad news for west coast

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Copy and posted from NorCal guides and sportsman’s association web page today 

April 7, 2022 | NCGASA Staff

UPDATE ON STRIPED BASS SLOT LIMIT FROM THE SMITH POLICY GROUP

This week NCGASA leadership and our lobbyist held another update meeting with CDFW on the topic of a striped bass slot limit. Recall that NCGASA and several partners have proposed a slot limit to protect female fecundity and improve the overall health of the striped bass fishery. Prior to this meeting the Department presented us with some preliminary feedback from a striped bass survey that they have started undertaking, along with some perspectives on the longer term health of the striped bass fishery. The Department contends that the most significant declines of striped bass populations occurred several decades ago, and that they have been relatively consistent since then. They acknowledge that there are many stressors on the fishery, but do not have an informed opinion yet if recreational harvest is one of them.  It was an informative dialogue. Initial assessment by the Department is that they may not support the higher end of the slot limit, their contention being that those 30+ inch females are not the driving factor in species health and wellbeing. Further, they are very sensitive to the needs of recreational anglers, including subsistence anglers who rely on fishing to supplement their diets.  On these and other topics we say it’s hard to tell. The Department does NO science or management of striped bass whatsoever, the latest data sets are generations old and out of date.  They have no idea what the actual fisher population is, among numerous other factors.

Further, they plan to rely heavily on in the field contacts of recreational anglers to inform their position further, and they plan to continue this survey (underway now for the past 3 months) for at least 1-2 more years. If you are contacted by the Department, we encourage you to voice your concern about the long term need to keep striped bass a strong, healthy, and viable recreational fishery. This fishery is the last stronghold in the Sacramento Valley, and without due diligence and care it too will eventually end up as all other managed species have to date … diminished, listed, and largely off limits to anglers. The NCGASA Board of Directors has no faith, that in the inevitable and exhaustive quest for more water exports, the unrelenting pressures of drought and changing climate and hydrology, that any of fisheries are going to naturally get better with time.  It will only be through careful planning and strategies that we maximize outcomes to maintain and protect our fishery, so that it exists today and future generations to enjoy.

MARK SMITH

Edited by Hokahey

6 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

This is extremely unfortunate to say the least. 

They ignore extremely qualified and professional scientist and interview some joe shmo on the bank of the delta instead to get their data this is just the biggest kick in teeth while on the ground for striped bass . can’t believe it but I can believe it and the more I see I really believe fish and game want the fishery to disappear. 

Edited by Hokahey

On 4/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, Mike Fixter said:

This west coast forum is about as lively as a mortuary...............Kind of like our striper fishery...................

Couldn't agree more.  This west coast forum needs an injection of new blood.  Perhaps if someone were to start something like a Googan Sanctuary thread where any newbie can ask questions or post anything fishing related without fear of reprisal or ridicule.  Just a thought.  The future of our sport fishing industry depends upon encouraging new blood.

Edited by bass11

We used to have a lively forum when Cal Caster, Theresheblows, Letthemrun, Castbeyondthebreakers, Cancelled Caster, Alvey Caster, California Caster and Queerqueg were around but you guys complained too much and made Tim get rid of them. Now you are complaining about needing new blood. lol

2 mins ago, moocks said:

We used to have a lively forum when Cal Caster, Theresheblows, Letthemrun, Castbeyondthebreakers, Cancelled Caster, Alvey Caster, California Caster and Queerqueg were around but you guys complained too much and made Tim get rid of them. Now you are complaining about needing new blood. lol

hahaha...wasn't here for then but sure sounds like a "careful what you wish for" thing.  ;)

West Coast here so there is at least one lurker peaking in now and then.  

19 hours ago, moocks said:

They were a great group of guys! 

Yes, it’s been quiet as a morgue around here. 

So they are admitting that the fishery had a significant collapse 20 years ago. Since then they have not done anything to help restore the fishery? Their excuse is that people who fish for food will not be able to eat? That has absolutely nothing to do with managing a fishery for abundance, not to mention that if these meat fishermen were able to catch 2 fish that were 30-40 inches instead of 18-25 inches they would put more meat on the table. It is a completely flawed argument. You can not have big fish if you kill all the small fish. Dereliction of duty.

I have been fishing for stripers for 45 years. The last 20 years here on the west coast since moving here in 2002. In my experience, the fishery has seen a major decline in those 20 years.  I have seen the same decline on the east coast over those same  20 years. Back east in the 80's the fishery had collapsed and they put in strict limits and even a moratorium in some cases. It worked and the fishery came back like gangbusters to world-class in just a few years.

So I am paying for a license so some DF&G person can ride around in an 80,000 truck and catch a guy with a 16-inch striped bass. Please tell me what fishery in California is thriving under their management? My comments are not aimed at the guys and girls wardens etc.. who are trying to make a difference out there. It's the higher-ups I want to get rid of.

Late-night rant over.

Lee

On 4/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, Mike Fixter said:

This west coast forum is about as lively as a mortuary...............Kind of like our striper fishery...................

Sad but true. In my case, it's because nothing is biting on my beaches around here. 

On 4/13/2022 at 2:05 AM, superuser said:

I just saw some dude keep two 10 inchers at the beach the other day. Some people just suck. 

Now that is super lame. I'm sure many people do that, because there is no enforcement. 

2 hours ago, Decap said:

Everyone is on Instagram posting their 16" stripers...:thdwn:

I have not seen any on insta? I must be following the wrongs guys. LOL How sad that it's come to this. Hard to blame them. They probably think that's a decent fish. It's been the same surfing the last 15 years. People have no clue and know nothing of what they do. Maybe we can drop some knowledge on them. We need new blood in the sport to have the power to make changes in the fishery.

Lee

It doesn't help when one of the popular & prolific bay area youtubers is encouraging people to take home the stripers they catch since they eat all the salmon juveniles (his words not mine) and that's what he likes to catch most. You only have to read his fan boy comments to see what his followers think of catch and release, its depressing.