curran

I need some help with a school project

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have a weird post for you all.

In my school, we are working on a "passion project". The gist of it is that you do a project on something you are passionate about. I really like fishing, so I am doing my project about a pond near my house. I'm going to be making information about the pond, similar to this paper. My goal is to write a little about the pound, find out what species are in it, and make a bathymetric map. Again, in the same format of this paper.

This is where this post comes in. Part of the project requires me to talk to an expert. Since the lake i'm studying is in Mass, I wanted to ask people from Mass. 

I know this site is about fishing for stripers, but i have seen that a lot of people here are very knowledgeable in all fishing subjects.

Here is some additional info about the area:

The pond is in middlesex county. 

there are no streams that go into the pond.

the pond is man made, as it used to be a swamp.

the avg bass weight is around 1-2 lbs

So, here are my questions that I need help with.

When do perch spawn? (In Massachusetts  on average)

When do bass spawn?(In Massachusetts on average)

When do bluegill spawn?(In Massachusetts on average)

Is it possible for an ecosystem containing all 3 of those fish to thrive without minnows/baitfish? (I haven't seen minnows in the pond, and have caught bass on bluegill lures)

If there are minnows in the pond, what kind would they be? (the pond used to be a swamp, and was created by hand)

If there are crayfish in the pond, what species would it be? (I have seen a severed claw of a crayfish, that was a greyish blue color.)

What kinds of mammals eat fish? (I have seen beavers in the pond, no clue if they eat fish)

I attached a map of the pond to this post, in case it helps. the ponds are both about 600 long. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, It is a lot. This info will really help me finish my project. If people want, I can upload my project when I'm done. Thanks again SOL. 

Screenshot 2022-04-07 1.06.44 PM.png

Don't forget to add the reason that you even go there. Just being there or at any place that you fish is part of the experience that is good for the soul.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:13 PM, curran said:

Hi guys, I have a weird post for you all.

In my school, we are working on a "passion project". The gist of it is that you do a project on something you are passionate about. I really like fishing, so I am doing my project about a pond near my house. I'm going to be making information about the pond, similar to this paper. My goal is to write a little about the pound, find out what species are in it, and make a bathymetric map. Again, in the same format of this paper.

This is where this post comes in. Part of the project requires me to talk to an expert. Since the lake i'm studying is in Mass, I wanted to ask people from Mass. 

I know this site is about fishing for stripers, but i have seen that a lot of people here are very knowledgeable in all fishing subjects.

Here is some additional info about the area:

The pond is in middlesex county. 

there are no streams that go into the pond.

the pond is man made, as it used to be a swamp.

the avg bass weight is around 1-2 lbs

So, here are my questions that I need help with.

When do perch spawn? (In Massachusetts  on average)

When do bass spawn?(In Massachusetts on average)

When do bluegill spawn?(In Massachusetts on average)

Is it possible for an ecosystem containing all 3 of those fish to thrive without minnows/baitfish? (I haven't seen minnows in the pond, and have caught bass on bluegill lures)

If there are minnows in the pond, what kind would they be? (the pond used to be a swamp, and was created by hand)

If there are crayfish in the pond, what species would it be? (I have seen a severed claw of a crayfish, that was a greyish blue color.)

What kinds of mammals eat fish? (I have seen beavers in the pond, no clue if they eat fish)

I attached a map of the pond to this post, in case it helps. the ponds are both about 600 long. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, It is a lot. This info will really help me finish my project. If people want, I can upload my project when I'm done. Thanks again SOL. 

Screenshot 2022-04-07 1.06.44 PM.png

You want us to do your homework? 

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

You want us to do your homework? 

Nah, if only it was that easy. The project requires me to contact an "expert" on the subject. Masswildlife didn't email me back, so I came here. My classmates are doing stuff like making presentations about the school dress code, and talking to their parent as their "expert". I wanted my project to be more significant to me. I just needed some info that was tough to find online, and I got it here. No shortcuts from me!

1 hour ago, north-shore fisha said:

Helpful.  Nice.

Well I could have looked up all the answers online, who knows all those answers?

On 4/8/2022 at 8:39 PM, curran said:

Nah, if only it was that easy. The project requires me to contact an "expert" on the subject. Masswildlife didn't email me back, so I came here. My classmates are doing stuff like making presentations about the school dress code, and talking to their parent as their "expert". I wanted my project to be more significant to me. I just needed some info that was tough to find online, and I got it here. No shortcuts from me!

All the experts are in the Tavern . . .

I have seen several bald eagles in Plymouth during the last couple of years but I am not sure if they are in Middlesex county. 

Most of the ponds in the southeastern part of the state are kettle ponds of varying depth and little structure. What structure does your pond have and how deep is it? Masswildlife has information on lakes and ponds and will serve as a good online reference for you.

Good luck!

21 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

I have seen several bald eagles in Plymouth during the last couple of years but I am not sure if they are in Middlesex county. 

They sure are!

5 hours ago, Intrepid95 said:

They sure are!

Yep. When I lived down the street from the Merrimack in Tyngsborough, there were a solid handful that nested and raised young off that stretch of river. One nest was at the Tyngs golf course.