atv223

How do you land a fish without high sticking?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I know you can snap a rod from high sticking and I really try to not do it. But whether from my kayak or a boat, if I have to land the fish myself, it seems almost impossible to do without high sticking. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions on techniques?

It depends on what type of rod you are using, high sticking can occur any time your tip is carrying more load than it was intended to.

On 5/18/2012 at 0:56 AM, Sudsy said:

If you look at the angle of the line and the rod, you don't want to go past 90 degrees or you risk blowing it up. That's high sticking.

This is mainly about high mod graphite surf rods. Some rods, noodles and most 100% fiberglass rods for example, can do it without a problem.

On 5/18/2012 at 9:58 AM, SurffisherMike said:

Its why low modulus graphite and glass rods will always be around. sometimes theres no other way to get to the fish.

On 5/18/2012 at 10:50 AM, j0k3r said:

Even the top of the line best crafted jigging and popping rods, like synit and JM will break like a twig if you high stick on a fish. It's a huge nono in the offshore community and a sure way to lose hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Without a net you pretty much have to high stick it momentarily not matter what. I could be wrong and would love to hear another approach. Personally I high stick and quickly grab the leader. Or if possible I will pull the rod straight back and turn to grab the leader, which is easy enough if you are on a boat.

Keep that reel at your waistline height. Try to short rod the fish while leadering it. By short rod I mean chock up and get your hand higher up and off the grip. You’ll be pulling back and about laying that rod flat or lesser angle. When that fish is short lined loosen the drag a bit, if it runs the rod doesn't take the brunt of the weight. 

don’t get that reel at your chest, shoulder height or above. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Give the fish some ‘extra’ line. Sweep the rod tip at 45degrees to get the fish into grabbing distance. Grab the line or leader as you lean/ lay the rod down.

Edited by cheech

2 mins ago, cheech said:

Give the fish some ‘extra’ line. Lean or lay the rod down as you pull in that extra line to get to the leader.

This

Keep the rod low. Its one of the reasons I prefer bait caster or conventional tucked under my arm when dealing with bass. Its just easier for me. 

Lots of people reel the line too far (like 2 feet before touching the fish) in then try to handle the fish bending down. This will lead to high sticking.

Reel in to a certain point and stop or let a little line out when the fish is at a stop point not fighting. Then slowly get down to leader or handle the fish while enough slack on the rod for it not to bend.

1 hour ago, HunterP said:

Without a net you pretty much have to high stick it momentarily not matter what. I could be wrong and would love to hear another approach. Personally I high stick and quickly grab the leader. Or if possible I will pull the rod straight back and turn to grab the leader, which is easy enough if you are on a boat.

This is basically what I end up doing, but I’m always concerned and wondering if there’s a better way. 

In the boat I use the net. When wading or off the sand I just swing around and let one of the muggers that came over to crowd me in unhook it.

I swing my rod out to the side opposite the direction the fish is coming from and the fish ends up right in front of me ready to leader it. Let it swim a few laps near you if it is still green donut doesn't throw the hook when you leader it. If it runs while you're holding the leader let it go.