t_man7

Leaded paint

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Is there a way I can add lead to paint to make my own leaded paints?  Don’t know how this process is done professionally?

Thanks

Tommy

Just now, derekh said:

I tried looking that up one time. i gave up.all info was on howto avoid it not on how to make it. 

Yeah, after babies started to eat the chipping lead paint and got lead poisoning from it; the tables turned fast on public opinion of lead in products.

2 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Is there a way I can add lead to paint to make my own leaded paints?  Don’t know how this process is done professionally?

Thanks

Tommy

I think lead oxide is actually chemically part of the pigments added to the linseed oil when they made lead oil based paint. You can't just dump lead in!

50 mins ago, gellfex said:

I think lead oxide is actually chemically part of the pigments added to the linseed oil when they made lead oil based paint. You can't just dump lead in!

Thanks, I realized that with further research.  There’s a few different colors, mainly white and yellow oxide.  Explains why road paint is commonly these densely leaded colors.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Thanks

Tommy

A co. called Theo. Audel +Co. NY, put out books in the 1920' and they cover everything concerning construction, they also cover the formulation of paints, Check out Edition #4. Guys I worked for early on always had a few on hand as some things in construction never change. Sorry its a bit blurry:shrug: And small:laugh::laugh:

Book.jpg

Edited by richie c

7 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Yeah, after babies started to eat the chipping lead paint and got lead poisoning from it; the tables turned fast on public opinion of lead in products.

Yes, children are more susceptible to lead poisoning, but it's not just a problem for kids eating the paint chips. It's toxic to us grownups as well- just not as such low levels.  Lead paint also ends up as lead dust in old homes.  Was also a problem with leaded gas.  The toxicity depends on the type of lead as well.

There was a reason lead was dropped from paint, gasoline, ceramic glazes, etc.  I've got no issue with using lead sinkers, but wouldn't even consider trying to make lead paint.

What's the driver?

I head lead poisoning from welding when I was younger. Used to get tested every six months. It makes you cranky... (the lead, not the testing) 

5 mins ago, UPSmanMatt said:

I head lead poisoning from welding when I was younger. Used to get tested every six months. It makes you cranky... (the lead, not the testing) 

Sorry to hear that Matt, probably best for me being so young to stay away from lead, at least as much as I can.  

Think I’ll stick to the paints containing fewer lead oxides.