Murgino

Report of the latest trip to Gabon

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Thanks for sharing Murgino, looks like a trip of a lifetime.  Monster fish from the sand.  

6 hours ago, mark d said:

great photos. i am in mauritania now on my ship. when it is time to fly home i will stay a few days and surfcast. do you know anything about this area ?

thanks

Not really. What i know is that in Morocco they catch very nice leerfish casting skipping lures from the shore. And i saw some video of people fishing in harbours for very big corvina with livebait 

That's it

51 mins ago, Skolmann said:

Outstanding !!!!!!

Might have to add Gabon to my bucket list.

You really should 

If you like shore fishing is a once in a lifetime trip

4 hours ago, phishallways said:

Outstanding trip and memories for you. Thanks for sharing Murgino.

were the sharks any problem landing fish, Aka “bitten off”?

talking with the wife about an Italy trip first here, she deserves one!

Not really in this particular trip.

Just the guide lost a 200 pounds tarpon because of a big bull.

But this was the only fish lost because of them. 

But sometimes they can be really annoying and you have to be very fast pulling out the fish or you will get none.

PS. Good idea with the italian trip. Your wife will be the happiest in the world. And if you like good food and wine, you will be too :D

34 mins ago, Murgino said:

Not really. What i know is that in Morocco they catch very nice leerfish casting skipping lures from the shore. And i saw some video of people fishing in harbours for very big corvina with livebait 

That's it

thanks

On 4/6/2022 at 9:04 PM, Murgino said:

First of all, i would like to excuse with you all for my english mistakes, i will do my best.

I allways liked reading by others theyr fishing trips reports in this forum, so i hope you can enjoy this read and dream a bit like it happends to me when i was only a reader and could not afford fishing trips.

So, here i am writing a report of my last trip to Gabon, fishing the river mouth of Olende, at beginning of March.

We were a group of  6 fishermans, plus our guide, and we were camping on the beach in some very confortable safari tents. 

IMG_5374.JPG.00774dcdc5a31931db582548ada0b632.JPG

Life can be sometimes hard when you are living on a tent and a tropical storm comes, but when fishing is amazing you forget it fast!

As said, we fished a river mouth, where big predators come close to the shore looking for some easy meal (mullet, crabs ecc), and as soon the dark comes the fishing can be on fire!

Jacks, african snappers (cubera), giant african threadfin, barracuda, tarpons and sharks, everything can be catched with feets on sand. To me, fishing like this from the shore, is the most amazing fishing you can do in the world!

I can imagine it close to the videos i see of the mullets run in Florida, something i would like to try but maybe a bit to expensive for a normal italian guy. 

I have to admit that the week we fished was incredible, tarpons from 10kg to 100kg were every morning and every night there jumping out of the water chasing mullets. **** ton of bites and tarpons jumped, and at the end i landed 4 silver kings (3 bigs and 1 small). You know the tarpon game....

IMG_1849.jpg.bab04b004d1294c8bf9adbcfba0b8419.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg.be5f652be761b686bf50b03429bfe1f4.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg.b9889d03f57c6340b56edb8f39fe69e7.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg.aef2addddfabc70dfd98699f34688824.jpg

Was crazy how many shoals of jacks were around, but to be onest we were not casting on them because that fish is an incredible strong fighter for its size, and we were chasing more sought species. So i catched them "by mistake".

Common Jack Crevalle (same as the ones you can find in the States)

IMG_1897.jpg.a3eeb039b4b445e1bd88bd928aa792f8.jpg

Long fin Jack, typical of the western coast of Africa. Even stronger in fight than its cousin crevalle because he uses more the side of the body to make friction with water when you are fighting him. 

IMG_1776.jpg.6343b8f51ff2061f2f8c5307192b5da5.jpg

Most of the people go to Gabon following the dream to catch a big silver king, but for me, the fishes i like and dream the most to catch are without doubt the african snappers and the giant african threadfins!

They are a so looking good fish when you catch them, that you forget they will never fight hard like a tarpon.

To me, they are comparable to the stripers you guys catch in the North East and to the redfish of Florida, 2 fish of the list i really would like to catch one time in my life.

Snappers were not so present this time, i got only one, but at least it was a decent one.

IMG_1930.jpg.43cf0159bcdaa313a81b99e6fa3aabc5.jpg

On the other hand, at least, the threadfins where everywere! 

You have to fish for them very slow, close to the bottom, because it's a fish that feeds the most on crabs and small stuff he searches on the ground. It's a very tecnical fishing for me, very challenging, done in the pitch black of the night where you have to feel everything with your rod, even the smallest bump or strange stop of your lure. 

And when you set the hook, on the other side can be a 5kg threadfin or a 50kg one, you never know. Catching a big one was the dream i was following by going in Gabon, and i was lucky enough to get a really good fish.

IMG_1864.jpg.3c747ef5f952f8ccb47c78c9ea614b74.jpg

The only fish i was missing in this trip to complete my big slam was a smelly and slimey barracuda. 

It was amazing to see some 2mt fish coming completely out of the water with a mullet in the theets, and i hooked some and got my lure destroyed by them, but i got unlucky and lost the ones i could hook.

Will be better next time!

IMG_4560.JPG.7661cba64c494e304507f1cd01c56f45.JPG

That's it guys!

We took the pics of only the biggest and best fish so there is not to much more to show. But when the fishing is on fire, you don't stop fishing for taking pictures of the smaller fish :naughty:

To close, just an amazing pic of this african sunset that makes me remember and dream about the sand, the waves and the fish of this amazing country. Cheers.

_DSC6829.jpg.3592ce2fd1eb5e81a416dc19ce0d8b79.jpg

Congratulations on your great fish.

Would you comment about your gear? Rods,reels,line?

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Congratulations on your great fish.

Would you comment about your gear? Rods,reels,line?

My main combo was a Zenaq duro pencil 100h paired with a 2012 daiwa catalina 5000 with a custom jack reel custom spool. As braid a tasline pe6.

But after 2 good tarpons and one big lost due to some kind of abrasion on the line, i switched reels and put a stella 20000FA with a tasline PE8.

I had a lighter combo too with a Yamaga Blue Sniper PE4, but didn't use because there was to much big fish around.