Wheel eez and other beech wheel type carts?

I usually build my own carts out of pvc. I may buy one for my new kayak though. I am considering buying one with beech wheels and either the Malone TRX or the similar wilderness heavy duty carts. 

Thoughts on either of these or beech wheels in general?

I've been happy with the Rail blaza Sandtrakz, especially as some of my urban launches have a lot of broken glass and such so I'd worry for the inflatables ones. But I do not often launch over vast expanses of soft sand. I have though. Perhaps the fact that my boat only weighs 50 pounds unloaded matters.

Edited by gellfex

I had the Rail blaza C-Tug. Stay away. Garbage. My kayak always slid off of it. Watched a lot of videos on how to strap it properly. It felt like it was not wide enough for my kayak. I also felt the strap I received was backwards. The longer strap had the metal cam buckle on it and the other strap was the shorter one. I always felt it should have been the other way around so you can adjust it correctly. 

A66B9140-BCF4-4AE3-8B6E-B43781DA802D.jpeg

9003B228-F3FD-4625-B72A-93A1F3C71B48.jpeg

Edited by NYRangers

I picked up Salamander Bruneau Kayak Cart with Balloon Wheels on sale some time ago.  They are great and get the job done.

"It's not for me to reason why; but just for me to do and die" - Paraphrased from Tennyson

The motto for any successful marriage.

I also have the C-tug and havent had any trouble...have a SS127 Bonafide goes thru Florida sand pretty good..also have one of the older fishing kayak from dicks sporting good and it's heavy as chit and never had any trouble with the C-tug dragging it around...maybe you got a lemon...oh it was the Shadow Caster 

Edited by Drako
Semper Fi > Always Faithful
"Everytime History repeats itself, the price of the lesson goes up"

6 hours ago, Drako said:

I also have the C-tug and havent had any trouble...have a SS127 Bonafide goes thru Florida sand pretty good..also have one of the older fishing kayak from dicks sporting good and it's heavy as chit and never had any trouble with the C-tug dragging it around...maybe you got a lemon...oh it was the Shadow Caster 

I have one as well, although with just the standard wheels. I had my kayak slip off once soon after I first got it when I strapped the cart on way too far back and I was coming up a really steep boat ramp. Now I strap it just behind the seat, basically where a scupper cart would go, and it's been fine every time. 

Edited by drmevo

Wheeleez baloon wheels used to last a  long time. New ones not so much. Really don't hold 

air like the old ones. I think they changed the valve system to inflate the tires. New one no bueno.

They do work well on sand if you can keep air in them but the price is pretty steep.  Good luck with your decision.

I really don’t like nor will I use a c tug style cart. I need to see in-line arms that are perpendicular to the cart. I’m really liking the Wilderness heavy duty cart. Might also skip on the ballon wheels. 

24E1EA72-FB04-4F13-93FD-B1819FBD790C.jpeg

Edited by NHAngler

Similar to you, I use homemade pvc scupper carts with smaller tires most of the time. A few reasons to prefer this: 1) cost 2) I like to have a reasonably sized cart with me in case I need/want to land/portage 3) I like the ease of slipping the cart in the scuppers under the water. The tires I use are able to go through sand (although it can suck), but are “non-buoyant” enough to slip in the scuppers while the boat is in a couple feet of water.

However, for the trips that require more than a short tow across sand, I use a Malone strap-on balloon wheel cart. It does well on soft sand. Too bulky to bring otw with me but the easy tow makes the extra trip to the vehicle worth it

I use the c tug and hobie trax beach wheels. I like the hobie wheels except always having to unload and flip the kayak over. The c tug works well if you position it right behind the seat area. I too had the problem of it sliding off because i was placing it to far back.

+1 for the ctug. I strap it just behind the seat and it works great. Regularly use it in sand and leave the same wheels on for pavement. As far as it not working with wide kayaks, mine is 37” wide. Most people I’ve seen complain about the ctug are trying to strap it way too far back on their kayak. I like it because I take my cart with me when I’m launching from the beach and it’s much more manageable than the Malone and wilderness systems cart. 

Edited by tvl3rd