Big Biscuit

$100 -$150 Waders Recommendations

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Went out yesterday to fish a local river and ended up with a soggy foot. With what the water temps are it was not exactly a pleasant trip. By the time the trip was through I was fihless and had about two cups of water in my left boot foot. Needless to say I'm in search of a new waders. Looking to not break the bank. I'm done spending $400 -$500 on waders. So can anyone recommend a bargain brand of waders?

48 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

Went out yesterday to fish a local river and ended up with a soggy foot. With what the water temps are it was not exactly a pleasant trip. By the time the trip was through I was fihless and had about two cups of water in my left boot foot. Needless to say I'm in search of a new waders. Looking to not break the bank. I'm done spending $400 -$500 on waders. So can anyone recommend a bargain brand of waders?

frog toggs are low price 40$ for hip 80$ for chest , in either felt or tread soles i have the hip thought i get a year out of them i fish almost everyday in season going into second season and there still like new !!

31 mins ago, angler management said:

frog toggs are low price 40$ for hip 80$ for chest , in either felt or tread soles i have the hip thought i get a year out of them i fish almost everyday in season going into second season and there still like new !!

I'm looking for stocking foot waders. I just checked out the frog tongs on the big river site and they look pretty good for $150.

6 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

I'm looking for stocking foot waders. I just checked out the frog tongs on the big river site and they look pretty good for $150.

I am just sharing that I much rather fish in stocking foots for comfort but I have a cheap pair of boot foots for short walks and short trips throughout the season. It takes a significant amount of wear and tear off my better quality stocking foots. 

Oh, to top it off two of my d-rings on one of my Simms freestone wading boots snapped off too. :banghd: Can a guy catch a break? Now I'm gonna need wading boots also. 

I found a bunch of pairs of reddingtons in the back clearance room at my local cabela's a few years back.  70% off or so and a bunch of sizes.  Might be worth a try but I'm not sure whether or not cabela's still has the bargain cave.

3 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Oh, to top it off two of my d-rings on one of my Simms freestone wading boots snapped off too. :banghd: Can a guy catch a break? Now I'm gonna need wading boots also. 

If you can still find them on sale, about a week ago you could get Danner USMC RAT boots (preferably the “hot” climate, non-steel-toe version) for between $29-60 (depending on size). Several army/navy surplus stores were dumping inventory for some reason. You can also check your favorite auction sites and probably find them there as well.

These seem to be a good boot for people with stocking foot waders (or for people who just wear neoprene wading socks). The hot climate version is designed with drain holes and materials to quickly dry out. Seem pretty good especially at that price (they are usually around $250-330, but once or twice a year go on sale for around $90).

I managed to grab a pair and will be trying them out this season.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Frogg Togg waders are honestly the best bang for your buck. You can snag a pair on amazon for 70 bucks sometimes if you check every week. My buddy and I have probably walked close to 300 miles a year in them and we've done a decent amount of jetty hopping. I try to have one backup in case there's a leak I can't patch with aquaseal that way I'm ready to go. I will warn you that the groin is prone to wearing out very quickly since we surfcasters like using our groin as a leverage point. I haven't found a pair of waders to accommodate this but have seen some interesting ATV waders that might address this issue.

But to the people looking at this thread for advice. Taking care of stockingfoots is equally as important as buying good quality ones. Having a loose stocking foot in your boot will cause your feet to shift slightly which leads to more friction which leads to more wear and tear. Try to get the tightest boot you can while still being comfortable to minimize this. Also washing them right after a session with fresh water will help. Salt accumulates at the seams and when it dries and crystallizes, it will shred through the seams very quickly. I usually fill up a bucket with water and soak the boots and sock of the waders in there for a few minutes before drying. 

Edited by Inception

Frogg togg canyon breathable waders have been great for me. I used them at least 40 times last season, no leaks at all. I rinse and hang dry after every use. 

I got them at a big box store for $99.99. 

10 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Actually the fact that the rate of water intrusion was so high you probably have a great repair candidate there. I had this happen this year. One of the first times using the waders walking over rocks the sole tore where the heel tread met the middle thin part of sole. I guess rubber degrades over time and the first trips out you are basically testing the rubber if its still strong enough to handle the stress. 

I patched with ample amount of 3M 5200 Fast Cure with a strip of cordura to resist tearing.

Ended up getting the frog toggs hellbenders waders and boots since I needed those too. Thanks all for the recommendations and advice. 

Tight lines!

You gotta love the big river site. I ordered the boots and waders yesterday and they've already arrived at my local distribution center. They should be waiting for me by the time I get home from work. This is perfect I won't have to miss any fishing.