DaveC

High End Knives, who collects, owns, cuts stuff with them??

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

LOL.  I am sure that many of you that have them aren't cutting boxes up with them.  Who else does the knife collecting thing here?  If so, what do you collect?  Let's see some pics.

My BIL is a custom knife maker, Lloyd Marshall. Another old friend is one as well, Sean O’Connell. 

Both make knives full time. I like nice things but I have no interest in a $1k knife. I drop a lot more than that on fishing and hunting stuff I don’t need.

1 min ago, ged said:

My BIL is a custom knife maker, Lloyd Marshall. Another old friend is one as well, Sean O’Connell. 

Both make knives full time. I like nice things but I have no interest in a $1k knife. I drop a lot more than that on fishing and hunting stuff I don’t need.

Don't have to be 1k to be considered a high end knife in my eyes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have two fixed blade knives, an old Gerber Shorty and Mora Bushcraft Black, two folders, a Buck 110 and and a Benchmade Mini Griptilian Sheep's Foot, the Buck and the Gerber since the early 70's. Frankly, I probably could have gone without the others. The old Gerber and Buck got me through my Coast Guard career with flying colors and still going strong.

Edited by spoonplugger1

Used to have a handful of 2-300$ knives, but nothing terribly fancy, Benchmade, Spyderco, zt, trm 

All got used frequently

Unfortunately have had to downsize and have sold nearly everything other than a few cheaper knives I could afford to hold onto 

I was a contributing editor for some of the major weapons publications for about ten years.   

I got to handle lots of both custom and factory blades.

My favorites are Spyderco, Benchmade and Chris Reeves.

Life is too short to carry a cheap knife.

Busse’s, swamprat, and others. Also

20-30 WW2 knives. I had a thing for the Cataragaus Quartermaster knives for awhile. I haven’t pulled out the collection in years. The Busse American Katana’s are probably worth the most, while my Busse NMSFNO has been to the other side of the world with me harvesting heart of palm.

A68564A1-AC30-401A-8A55-1AEADD9CAE64.jpeg

D973CD94-3D57-447A-82B7-58BB70210430.jpeg

D003AF09-1430-4DA3-8B22-0264A15A5233.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Love the Busse's, was introduced to them years ago and picked up a few before they went out of sight price wise.

fullsizeoutput_a23.jpeg

Edited by SneakBox
spelling

This is the nicest knife I own.  

Malinka Puukko w/ birch bark handle.  Was a gift. Don't know the steel.  All I know is it's high carbon. 20200308_163459_Film2.jpg.a0ade622ce935a95a16914098073870c.jpg

This is another favorite.  A Puukko-esque knife made by Bryan E King.  Blade is from a sawmill blade.  This knife has held it's own in the woods and on the water.  6v3PuKx.jpg.c55d139a1916e2e1480615321ac16246.jpg

I used to be pretty in traditional knives and had quite a few but that ended years ago. My daily carry is a 940-1. I love the carbon fiber and the sv-90 stays sharp for a long time.

I have an esee 3 and 4 both with custom scales and if I do more collecting there are multiple esees that i would love to have. And one day I will purchase a Sebenza with micarta because why the hell not.

I love knives,but don't have any that are over $500 I have spyderco's, bench made Old Puma pocket knives with stag handles, Puma bowies with stag handles and others.  Most are over 30years old and not used.  I have every day knives for that. Some Buck and spyderco's.  Always have a knife in my pocket.

2 hours ago, John P said:

I love knives,but don't have any that are over $500 I have spyderco's, bench made Old Puma pocket knives with stag handles, Puma bowies with stag handles and others.  Most are over 30years old and not used.  I have every day knives for that. Some Buck and spyderco's.  Always have a knife in my pocket.

The old stag puma hunters are beautiful knives.