ATBfish

Hotel stay with kayak

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can buy a chip to stick inside of it to track it. They sell them for tools but you can use them for anything. Glue it on the inside where you can’t see. You can track it with your phone.

Edited by Steve_M

My son and I trailer our kayaks to the CT coast to Striper fish during the Summer and Fall. We book a motel room where we can park right outside our room. Cable them up and feel safe. I am a very light sleeper and feel confident that I would hear anyone attempting to steal the yaks. We make sure we have a room and parking with good lighting overhead.

I use the 3/8" cable through the scupper holes method and park under the brightest light I can near the entrance.  If they really want it I guess they can get it but I make the cables conspicuous so they know it's not an easy steal.  

Small amount of home made explosives, a battery, a squib, and a simple loop pull switch...

Oh wait, nevermind.

Well I guess I should update this. The motel parking lot backed right up to my room. It was super easy to slide it off the truck into room. I don't think I needed to do it though. If it wasn't as easy I would've just left it on the truck. I also bought an AirTag to put in the kayak because o have to leave it outside in the backyard of my house anyway. 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:28 PM, connman said:

Driven from Maine to Keys with kayaks and never worried about theft. Thieves want something easy and quick and stealing a kayak does not strike me as either. Add a steel cable to the equation and you have ups the odds even more that they are going to pass . They can probably steal you catalytic convertor faster and less conspicuously than your kayak. 

Agree. Just cable lock it to roof and try to not stay in a place that is in a ridiculous hood.

Won't be too much longer when you'll get a room for the kayak and sleep in the car. People suck, and people that steal need to lose a few fingers or at least entertain Rufus for a couple nights in the slammer, they'd find out what slammer really means.