Hotel stay with kayak

So I guess I'm looking for some advice. I am traveling down i95 to go to South Carolina and have to stop for a wedding in VA on the way down. We are staying the night in a hotel and I'm worried about my kayak being secure. 

I usually run two steel cables through the scupper holes and put a lock on each one. I feel comfortable with this set up when I need to stop real quick and what not but not overnight at a hotel. Am I just over worrying about this? Is there a better way of doing it that would make it much more difficult to remove the chains? 

Only other thing is to try to bring it inside hotel but I know they probably wouldn't be too happy about that. 

Driven from Maine to Keys with kayaks and never worried about theft. Thieves want something easy and quick and stealing a kayak does not strike me as either. Add a steel cable to the equation and you have ups the odds even more that they are going to pass . They can probably steal you catalytic convertor faster and less conspicuously than your kayak. 

I think a kayak is more at risk in an area where people expect them, know the value and have tools to cut the security. So that's not a random motel parking lot. I have friends who were sleeping in a tent near their car in a PA state park near the Lehigh River and woke up to find the straps cut and the boats gone. 

4 mins ago, gellfex said:

I think a kayak is more at risk in an area where people expect them, know the value and have tools to cut the security. So that's not a random motel parking lot. I have friends who were sleeping in a tent near their car in a PA state park near the Lehigh River and woke up to find the straps cut and the boats gone. 

Hickory Run? 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

7 hours ago, connman said:

Driven from Maine to Keys with kayaks and never worried about theft. Thieves want something easy and quick and stealing a kayak does not strike me as either. Add a steel cable to the equation and you have ups the odds even more that they are going to pass . They can probably steal you catalytic convertor faster and less conspicuously than your kayak. 

Yeah that's true a kayak is definitely going to be cumbersome. I'm probably just overthinking it lol. Rbs me 

6 hours ago, gellfex said:

Yeah that makes sense. I guess it would have to be the perfect storm for someone to get it.

also that sucks or your friend. People just suck sometimes. 

Edited by ATBfish

The perfect storm is a drunk kayak seeking BillyBob in a pickup, lol. Park near the office / camera if it looks sketchy.
 When I camped, a can of pennies balanced on top of the yak was my theft alarm.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:31 AM, ATBfish said:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I think leaving it chained up with one of the cheap motion sensors or a can of Pennie's will be the way to go. Appreciate all the input. 

- Life is a waiting room, I hope they don't call me soon...... 

- Thomas Jefferson - "The course of history shows that as government grows, liberty decreases"

Our flag doesn’t fly because the wind that moves it. It flies with the breath of every fallen solider who protected it.