TBYRD

Shad fishing 2022

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

Last summer i was fishing for smallies and caught my first shad on a crank bait. Right away i new it was something different from the fight i had a blast. So this year i wanna really try and get a few out of the merrimack. Ive been watching alot of videos on youtube and seeing the rigs and how they set them up. The question i have is for the best luck should i go with the dart and spoon set up? Or just use the dart? I seen both and everyone has their own opinion. Thanks for any additional advice like dart size and colors.

The Merrimack you can fish with both, but I think that most people use the willow leafs and a weight and leader  same as the Connecticut. What you have to learn is where the fisherman are . The Shad are fished up into NH . Before the fish go on there redds they are pretty aggressive.  My advice find the fisherman....

1 hour ago, stifftip said:

The Merrimack you can fish with both, but I think that most people use the willow leafs and a weight and leader  same as the Connecticut. What you have to learn is where the fisherman are . The Shad are fished up into NH . Before the fish go on there redds they are pretty aggressive.  My advice find the fisherman....

I don't think Shad make and sit on redds, I believe they are broadcast spawners.

3 mins ago, DAQ said:

I don't think Shad make and sit on redds, I believe they are broadcast spawners.

Yeah I think they spawn at night and they make a helluva commotion thrashing and chasing and splashing. It's easy to get excited and think it's a striper blitz and go running down the bank like a fool, casting and casting and casting. 

I'm guilty of falling for that a few times.

Wasn't until we went out in a boat and shined a high powered light onto the ruckus did we figured it out.

By no means am I a shad expert. I've caught maybe a dozen in my life. I will say, the spawning activity we witnessed at night was not where all the guys fish for them by day, but it was close by.

And usually by the time they are actively spawning they stop eating. Be careful it's easy to snag one when they are spawning. They will start right around sunset. The jacks are right on the side and tail of the hen and she turns quickly at the surface and releases eggs and the males do same with their milt. Very quick and loud commotion. 

Was briefly connected to the elusive 4/20 shad yesterday. A small jack. Probably a scout but it seems to be the week to start hitting your local tidal rivers. He came off just before I could get the net under him.

62615f4f6f38c_42022jack.jpg.9b3a072fa276f0935599b0c225f2621a.jpg

Has anyone been Shad fishing by the Holyoke dam area lately?  I could use a river conditions and recent fishing report for there    I have the bug to go!

what brand of dart and spoon should i look for? i know alot of you guys enjoy making your own and all that but this will be my first year really trying to catch them and i just wanna start out grabbing a couple online.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:19 PM, clambellies said:

I've always fished shad darts.  What is the purpose of the extra long hook shank on the wobble spoons?

That's an excellent question id love to know the answer to as well.. but it seems like nobody wanna help with info on here. 

If i had to guess, its something like using a trailer hook on a spinner bait. Alot of fish will hit those hairs of the spinner bait and miss the hook. But if you got a nice strong trailer hook inside those hairs you will catch more fish.

19 hours ago, J1NXZ said:

what brand of dart and spoon should i look for? i know alot of you guys enjoy making your own and all that but this will be my first year really trying to catch them and i just wanna start out grabbing a couple online.

Look up Steve's leaves.  He make some nice ones in area and from the pictures @TBYRD makes some amazing looking ones also

I’m going to the Holyoke dam area in the morning if anyone wants some spoons. :howdy: 

I attach the long shank Aberdeen hooks to the ends of the spoons with a good sized puddle of solder. 

I’ve found them to have the best action, with out spinning, after trying every conceivable configuration.

A slight upward bend of the hook at that attachment point also helps achieve a good wide wobble. 
The length of the hook also helps with  short strikes.