TBYRD

Shad fishing 2022

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

1 min ago, TBYRD said:

I use 8lb Nanofil as a main line tied to a micro barrel swivel with a “toothpick pegged” moss green tungsten worm weight. 
From there, I tie 2ft of 6lb flouro to a micro crosslock snap attached to the spoon. 
Change out the weight until I get a few taps on the bottom during the retrieve. 
The tapered worm weight reduces hang-ups and the green color prevents the shad from striking at it. 
The snap let’s the spoon flutter, and allows for quick changes in color. 
If the spoon hooks a rock… and it should if you are in the zone… the 6lb leader parts from the swivel and you don’t lose the expensive tungsten :howdy:

0636D286-BDB3-45D4-9CA0-E5CD8B71657B.jpeg

Ahhh! I see

22 hours ago, TBYRD said:

Just incase a VW full of hippy shad swim by :shaky:

2A9E08CB-A501-4821-97D5-EE3CF6736B41.jpeg

steal your spoons! cool....im one of the few that fish for shad on the obx....great fun -glad I saw this thread. 

16 mins ago, TBYRD said:

I use 8lb Nanofil as a main line tied to a micro barrel swivel with a “toothpick pegged” moss green tungsten worm weight. 
From there, I tie 2ft of 6lb flouro to a micro crosslock snap attached to the spoon. 
Change out the weight until I get a few taps on the bottom during the retrieve. 
The tapered worm weight reduces hang-ups and the green color prevents the shad from striking at it. 
The snap let’s the spoon flutter, and allows for quick changes in color. 
If the spoon hooks a rock… and it should if you are in the zone… the 6lb leader parts from the swivel and you don’t lose the expensive tungsten :howdy:

0636D286-BDB3-45D4-9CA0-E5CD8B71657B.jpeg

Really cool. Thanks for posting.

Cool thread… in general shad news they are thick at Carolina piers now…I occasionally target them- when speckled trout and reds are scarce - but really know little of the fishery. After seeing these spoons I’m thinking me using micro jigs and mini Hopkins w treble is a crap way to do things… tbyrd- any chance you wanna sell me a few of those steal your face ones? Shops here have little except darts…the jig in pic is a major raft jigpara- I’m gonna loose the treble and go w the single only- I’ll do a search but is there a thread I should read in particular about this fishery? 

7BEF14E1-16F2-4F66-8C33-F9B14BBC36FB.jpeg

11 hours ago, bronson said:

Cool thread… in general shad news they are thick at Carolina piers now…I occasionally target them- when speckled trout and reds are scarce - but really know little of the fishery. After seeing these spoons I’m thinking me using micro jigs and mini Hopkins w treble is a crap way to do things… tbyrd- any chance you wanna sell me a few of those steal your face ones? Shops here have little except darts…the jig in pic is a major raft jigpara- I’m gonna loose the treble and go w the single only- I’ll do a search but is there a thread I should read in particular about this fishery? 

You can get plain gold and silver willow flutter spoons off amazon for dirt cheap and quick. I find the paint jobs are *usually* optional, and the unpainted still work. If you're sure color matters, go to the dollar store and pick up nail polish.

Up river by the Holyoke dam  color matters , size too ,  some days , Shad darts or willow leafs also warm bright days early season is good. a little high water is fantastic fishing early season. Light trout rods are great before the crowds show up. It’s been called the poor mans salmon I have to agree. The run in size from small jacks @16” to heavy egg filled females around 26” 6-7 lbs  all fish are c/r .( if I only could keep them alive for tuna fishing)(giant shinners ) The dam area is Not the most scenic place ,and trash from the homeless is bad  , but if you just face the river it’s a beautiful spot and when the Shad are taking you can have a good time .

1 hour ago, stifftip said:

Tbyrd   Is there a site where I could pickup plain willow leafs and paint myself . I like your style and colors.

I painted some ice fishing jigs.testers paint  with a small brush.

You can buy the parts of any of the lure building sites

20210214_132127.jpg

20210212_170411.jpg

20210208_112508.jpg

I get my bulk leafs and hooks from Cabelas. 
Testors model paint and nail polish. 
There used to be a great site “newenglandshad.com” but it no longer exists. 

I happily share spoons and knowledge to those I meet along the river. :howdy:

1 hour ago, TBYRD said:

Ru soldering the hook to the willow leaf or buying it complete with out paint 

1 hour ago, TBYRD said:

15 mins ago, stifftip said:

Ru soldering the hook to the willow leaf or buying it complete with out paint 

How about a slight bend over a dowel? 

What's the rules on shad in MA now?  Is it that you can only keep them from certain bodies of water?  Or can you not target them at all except for the Conn and the Mack?

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

How about a slight bend over a dowel? 

Please explain what you mean about a dowel, I missed it’s meaning? Are they home solders with hooks of your choice or are they complete with hook ?