TBYRD

Shad fishing 2022

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

It’s that time of year again. 
The water is warming and clearing up everyday. 
Made a small batch of new spoons and now just waiting for the end of April for those first scouts to show up :rav:

4AF27B58-B40A-4335-9CDE-E20260BF5436.jpeg

Nice ones. I've heard the water levels are below normal in the CT river. True ? (I'm not local, so I can't check easily). Hopefully the rainfall this week will help that situation. 

What river are you fishing with those fancy pants nifty colorful spoons ? Am I still living in the 70s using Shad darts.  I fish the Connecticut rv I noticed that style is used on the boats  more often.  Still to early for the Holyoke run   I make one run a year for our Shad festival . It’s great fishing for the poor people . Btw I will have several of them spoons, I never used them until now!

1 hour ago, stifftip said:

What river are you fishing with those fancy pants nifty colorful spoons ? Am I still living in the 70s using Shad darts.  I fish the Connecticut rv I noticed that style is used on the boats  more often.  Still to early for the Holyoke run   I make one run a year for our Shad festival . It’s great fishing for the poor people . Btw I will have several of them spoons, I never used them until now!

Do you still put marshmallows on the darts?

I fish the CT in the S. Hadley area. 
I’d be glad to share some spoons and rigging instruction with you guys. 

Thanks I know the rig but I have about 10 lbs of Shad darts  all lead .i have fished over the wall in Holyoke   for about 50 years . I even caught and released a 15 lb Alantic salmon on a pink dart using a 6 ft fly rod  that was a treat 

15 mins ago, stifftip said:

Thanks I know the rig but I have about 10 lbs of Shad darts  all lead .i have fished over the wall in Holyoke   for about 50 years . I even caught and released a 15 lb Alantic salmon on a pink dart using a 6 ft fly rod  that was a treat 

Really.....................

49 mins ago, stifftip said:

I recall you catching the salmon.  I was turkey hunting up that way, and shad fishing in the afternoon.  Everyone was talking about it. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I recall you catching the salmon.  I was turkey hunting up that way, and shad fishing in the afternoon.  Everyone was talking about it. 

Ya it was big news . it was a big male 34” with a kype mouth. I new it was a Salmon after it made it first run of about 50 yards up stream ,everyone got out of the water to watch ,even the boat guys moved. It was a up and down stream battle and running and leaping but a 1/2 hr later I beach him .a few quick pictures and a kiss goodbye. I know of only a half dozen salmon caught there in 50 yrs of (salmon)fishing for Shad.  Btw the Shad festival will happen again in a Saturday in May ?  More info to follow 

Current USGS water data for the CT river in central MA. 
In the 20yrs I’ve enjoyed the shad run, late April-early May and 20,000cfs has been optimal, with water temp and clarity things to consider as well. 

B917B5D6-41D3-4B9C-A6D6-F6D56F0D5414.jpeg

I use 8lb Nanofil as a main line tied to a micro barrel swivel with a “toothpick pegged” moss green tungsten worm weight. 
From there, I tie 2ft of 6lb flouro to a micro crosslock snap attached to the spoon. 
Change out the weight until I get a few taps on the bottom during the retrieve. 
The tapered worm weight reduces hang-ups and the green color prevents the shad from striking at it. 
The snap let’s the spoon flutter, and allows for quick changes in color. 
If the spoon hooks a rock… and it should if you are in the zone… the 6lb leader parts from the swivel and you don’t lose the expensive tungsten :howdy:

0636D286-BDB3-45D4-9CA0-E5CD8B71657B.jpeg