luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - April 2022

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, hot tuna said:

VA side noticeably low on fleas this yr...I have to dig em up the day before in DE if I want to fish all day without digging for them in va.

I noticed the same, va side you have to work to find them this year. Md side really just depends where you are, way easier to find just gotta dig. 

Fished AI Saturday from 7 to 4. Two large dogfish, a Stingray and lots of skates every other cast and one weakfish. All on sand fleas dug between beach bumps and a quarter of the way to high waterline. If you find an obvious cut in the sand that's we were found a lot. Dolphins are actively playing ten feet from the waterline. Then the newly hatched jellyfishes showed up.

20220423_114229.jpg

20220423_165559.jpg

On 4/18/2022 at 0:27 PM, KOSS said:

Wednesday we headed to Ocracoke.  Dear god the sharks.  Every time I threw mullet it was inhaled in under 30 seconds.  

My Hatteras experiences have included some epic shark blitzes. Nothing makes a night session pass as fast as a constant cycle of fight a big shark followed by having to completely re-tie and re-rig. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kids dug lots of fleas on AI yesterday right at the dry sand/wet sand mark about 10-12 inches down.  Almost every shovelful. 

And as far as DE beaches, we make a past time of digging fleas when we're at the beach.  Lewes to Fenwick.  

Edited by dj1975232

1 hour ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Sand fleas in DE? Where? I’ve never even seen a wild sand flea outside of AI and CI. 

You're kidding, right?

Fished all day Saturday with my brother on AIMD. Just some small Blues taking my Bunker on the outer bar. A few skates throughout the morning. Black Drum in the 10 to 15 lb range came into the shore break just after high tide. Great day fishing.

20220423_165935.jpg

20220423_144700.jpg

20220423_115219.jpg

1 hour ago, Kbetts said:

You're kidding, right?

Swear to God. I have never seen a sand flea in Delaware. To be fair, I’ve only fished 3rs and some beach up north a handful of times, but when I was there I didn’t see any.

Glad to report my first bigger black drum from the beach. I want to thank all the guys who gave info in the drum fishing thread. Wasn’t the biggest, maybe 6-8 pounds, but it’s significant for me.

B0530C2F-D09F-43B8-BAB8-18A0D25C9C8A.png.dfd9bed7018f94d05652a4f523583623.png

Dug up a flea and it was too foggy to see where I was casting so I just tossed it as far as I could and I got him. Glad I was finally here at the right time. Past couple years I was too late. Tight lines

11 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Sand fleas in DE? Where? I’ve never even seen a wild sand flea outside of AI and CI. 

every DE beach has 'em...just start diggin' !

9 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Swear to God. I have never seen a sand flea in Delaware. To be fair, I’ve only fished 3rs and some beach up north a handful of times, but when I was there I didn’t see any.

Yeah, that's nuts. They are on every Delaware ocean beach. In a large amount.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

I always get them in DE. I use a nice sand rake and get some nice size one's.  You have to look for the at the water surf edge, as the wave recedes look for bubbles as the water runs back to the ocean, that's the fleas.

Edited by hunter123

9 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Yeah, that's nuts. They are on every Delaware ocean beach. In a large amount.

many BAY beaches have 'em also