luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - April 2022

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic


As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

 

Here is to a good april and spring....

DSC08840.JPG.4fd637cb8f289c331a002aecf3d47bdd.JPG

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished AI/VA Saturday and Sunday. A little chilly and the wind was out of the west. A few skstes and a spiny dogfish to get 2022 going. I fished Bunker, crabs and clams. Only takers were on the Bunker.

20220410_110234.jpg

20220409_175033.jpg

20220409_175026.jpg

20220409_173627.jpg

20220409_171701.jpg

20220409_164144.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poked around a few of my favorite early spring spots in southern DE yesterday evening.  Water was slightly stained but still good.  I had one bite that didn't come tight and a few short strikes.  Good news was DNREC came and checked my parking sticker and fishing license in a spot that could use some enforcement so let's hope they keep it up all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please notice my improved sinker slider(in my fishing report pics).  I'm trying this out this year, it is meant to work well in a heavy current. Crazy ideas come to me over the winter break while I'm prepping for the new year.  I hit two 300 ft  casts on Saturday after 4 years of work, big thanks to Tommy Farmer from the distance casting forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

Please notice my improved sinker slider(in my fishing report pics). 

How is it different from a fishfinder rig? Just wondering. 

A shorter hook leader will get you a few more yards. Most do about 2”

Edited by Catskill John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, Catskill John said:

How is it different from a fishfinder rig? Just wondering. 

A shorter hook leader will get you a few more yards. Most do about 2”

I placed a split ring and swivel between the slider and the snap.  I would run into situations where I could tell the line was binding due to an awkward position of the slider.  I prefer the slider to just using a heavy swivel because I think it's easier on the shock leader and the bead.  With the swivel, the slider can now turn to the current no matter how it lands on the bottom.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoBow said:

Why not just use the snap swivel as the fish finder?

 

1 hour ago, Steve Coleman said:

I use black finished 2/O coast lock snap swivels, and never had an issue.

Agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Mcmahon snap with barrel swivels myself.  Easiest I've found to change lead when my hands are cold and not working perfectly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the picture.. Reminds me of the same white plastic slider rigs sold at tackle shops that do 6 oz. tops, for spinners. This looks more heavy duty. But.. not a fan of plastic sliders for durability. I rety my knot at the swivel everyday while fishing anyway. If it works for you that's cool...

Edited by 7nBait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I too use a 2/0 size normally, some times smaller swivel with the snap.  no beads, never used them. 

The sinker slide swivel rests directly on the snell swivel, doesn't push or stress on the knot... guys that seem to use the beads between the two use a small slider like those green plastic things, or worse.  Either way i tie often as well, but when i use a 80-100lb rub leader (more in the early fall) im not as concerned.

 

found this pic, the drum is studying the snell :hooked:

6258041a5af72_ai_1008.jpg.8c6f43e239728302708d6d1d6c94e1e2.jpg

IMG_E1638.jpg.0f9bacb44558013c7fa0003dedae5e7c.jpg

Edited by luckyOC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, luckyOC said:

I too use a 2/0 size normally, some times smaller swivel with the snap.  no beads, never used them. 

The sinker slide swivel rests directly on the snell swivel, doesn't push or stress on the knot... guys that seem to use the beads between the two use a small slider like those green plastic things, or worse.  Either way i tie often as well, but when i use a 80-100lb rub leader (more in the early fall) im not as concerned.

 

found this pic, the drum is studying the snell :hooked:

6258041a5af72_ai_1008.jpg.8c6f43e239728302708d6d1d6c94e1e2.jpg

IMG_E1638.jpg.0f9bacb44558013c7fa0003dedae5e7c.jpg

Now THAT'S a short leader.  Any particular crimp sleeve and plier you like? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.