Sudsy

April 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

574 posts in this topic

Was just told by a young dude that it is illegal to dig sand worms in the Port Monmouth marshes…and did I bought a $40 pitchfork for nothing?

Was hoping to fish the Raritan near my new place….

any insight?

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

Was just told by a young dude that it is illegal to dig sand worms in the Port Monmouth marshes…and did I bought a $40 pitchfork for nothing?

Was hoping to fish the Raritan near my new place….

any insight?

I am guessing he thought you were harvesting shellfish ? I think the entire RB is closed to recreational shellfish harvest where it is legal I believe you need a commercial permit and its sold out of state only. There is no state worm law I am aware of, if a law exists it would be local municipal code. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

I am guessing he thought you were harvesting shellfish ? I think the entire RB is closed to recreational shellfish harvest where it is legal I believe you need a commercial permit and its sold out of state only. There is no state worm law I am aware of, if a law exists it would be local municipal code. 

Worm police?

Ok Slappy.  Show me what you got in the bucket!

OMG!  You got 150 one inchers  You know they gotta be at least 6 inches to be legal?  I'm gonna have to confiscate your bucket!

Edited by BillHoo

9 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

No

he was a local, owns a 25’ Wellcraft(?) He says there’s an old dude that sits in the Belford Seafood co-op area tower with binocs. Never seen the game wardens in the area but warns not to get caught as there is a stiff fine. 
last night he was plugging the bay next to me. 

Edited by MarkG

Out back Moco/Midco. Skunk for me this morning as I got a later start than I would have preferred and probably missed the bite. The water was calm and I can say the water clarity in the bay was quite good. Not much bait observed where I was. Back at it later. A very nice morning to be on the water by any measure. Crazy that Fluke opens tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

No

he was a local, owns a 25’ Wellcraft(?) He says there’s an old dude that sits in the Belford Seafood co-op area tower with binocs. Never seen the game wardens in the area but warns not to get caught as there is a stiff fine. 
last night he was plugging the bay next to me. 

I'm guessing you're digging in "his" spot.... Early bird gets the worm...:worms:

Had grand plans for the new moon last night but back issues scaled them back. Out back MoCo, top of the outgoing. Lots of participation at various spot drive bys. Blowing harder from than south than I expected. Ended up somewhere quieter and had a decent one smack a metal lip at the top of the cast but came unbuttoned. All she wrote for my shorter than expected night. 

1 hour ago, chocodove said:

Had grand plans for the new moon last night but back issues scaled them back. Out back MoCo, top of the outgoing. Lots of participation at various spot drive bys. Blowing harder from than south than I expected. Ended up somewhere quieter and had a decent one smack a metal lip at the top of the cast but came unbuttoned. All she wrote for my shorter than expected night. 

I know the feeling with the back. Take it easy

Out front OC, Dead Sea on plugs. Didn’t see much of any life besides some dolphins. 

Went looking for some bluefish out back in OC and found no blue fish. Decided to bounce some bucktails and do some day early fluke scouting. 

There was fluke to be had.  Would have had 2 overs per the new regs if today was tomorrow. Safely released to hopefully catch again tomorrow. 

339AEC59-89BC-4126-B37B-02E2E6D2A386.jpeg

Edited by jrzyripper
Spelling

All morning out front OC with clams and only got a skate near, or I thought I was at, the hot area.

Skunked Friday sunset to 10 pm using clams with an Abu 5500 level wind.  

Question about clams. If I can’t get to bait shop and want to soak some clam for a bit will a few clams from  the seafood section of the local grocer do?

2 hours ago, New yota said:

Question about clams. If I can’t get to bait shop and want to soak some clam for a bit will a few clams from  the seafood section of the local grocer do?

Yes

Back to the same spot as last time last night. While not as fast and furious as the previous time, it was still a solid bite. Fish were still stacked in the usual spots. Caught almost two dozen bass.  Many hits, brief hookups and drops in between catches  continuously kept me on the edge of my seat. All on the outgoing.  Beautiful night if a bit chilly. 

Biggest went 40", 38", 37" and two at 36". Many others were 30"+. No shorts. :th:

20220501_022036.jpg

Edited by GeoffT

4 hours ago, New yota said:

Yes ask for chowder clams. I prefer to spend my money at the local B&T but at least the clams at the super market should be fresh and will do in a pinch.