Sudsy

April 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

574 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Hammerz said:

Thats a crock, no disrespect because you sound like a nice person.  I took 2 years off from striped bass fishing and just got back into it this spring.  The first night out I had fish all night, not a soul in sight.   If your goal is to catch, your methods will work, but when your spots get shut down what are you going to do?      Call your friends?  Maybe invade another spot that very few people have been fishing for years, sounds about right.  I can only imagine how the guys fishing before me feel.

In the Spring time I like to chunk/liveline, it’s just what I do.          The last Spring I fished I was pushed out of spots because of big mouths like I see here talking about lineups.  One night in particular, I had teen to upper 20lb fish all alone for a week and a half.  I show up, there are 2 guys basically holding hands throwing small plugs..  I figure screw it I’ll walk past them 30-40 yards and see what happens..  It was a dead silent night, I hear these Clowns talking crap,” I couldn’t throw bait etc etc.”  They are catching dinks, camera flashing, yelling right behing houses, the 9.  I’m getting a lot of salad, I figure I’d let these goof balls have fun and hit another spot.  The next night I pull into the parking lot and there are about 15 trucks.  I walk over and there are literally 20 people in a lineup catching schoolies.  Yes a 30” fish is a schoolie.

edit- It did take me

3 places to find bait though, I’m rusty.

You picked a good spring to get back into it. If you are around Monmouth Beach this Sunday, pop in and say hello. See thread pinned to the top.

56 mins ago, Hammerz said:

Thats a crock, no disrespect because you sound like a nice person.  I took 2 years off from striped bass fishing and just got back into it this spring.  The first night out I had fish all night, not a soul in sight.   If your goal is to catch, your methods will work, but when your spots get shut down what are you going to do?      Call your friends?  Maybe invade another spot that very few people have been fishing for years, sounds about right.  I can only imagine how the guys fishing before me feel.

No disrespect either, but I don't think what I said was a crock, allow me to explain. I was just starting out with saltwater fishing and I had very little experience using artificial lures. I could have learned from others in terms of the type of lures they used and how they used them in particular situations. What I did instead was stay as far away from the bite as possible. If I heard the bite was at the Hook, I would head over to Point Pleasant. I would have benefitted from watching others fish instead of doing casting practice all day. It would've also helped that there was a good amount of fish in the area to better my chances. You must have had someone show you how to fish when you first started. Good for you for being dialed-in, maybe someday I will get to that point. 

I am all for not sharing spots and avoiding crowds. I hate fishing in lineups to be honest and would like to avoid them if I could and that is why I try to fish the lesser accessible spots, but even those are sometimes crowded these days. I was gonna say good luck, but I guess you don't need it. 

9 mins ago, JMB said:

You picked a good spring to get back into it. If you are around Monmouth Beach this Sunday, pop in and say hello. See thread pinned to the top.

Gotta work, appreciate it though.

6 mins ago, adobo said:

No disrespect either, but I don't think what I said was a crock, allow me to explain. I was just starting out with saltwater fishing and I had very little experience using artificial lures. I could have learned from others in terms of the type of lures they used and how they used them in particular situations. What I did instead was stay as far away from the bite as possible. If I heard the bite was at the Hook, I would head over to Point Pleasant. I would have benefitted from watching others fish instead of doing casting practice all day. It would've also helped that there was a good amount of fish in the area to better my chances. You must have had someone show you how to fish when you first started. Good for you for being dialed-in, maybe someday I will get to that point. 

I am all for not sharing spots and avoiding crowds. I hate fishing in lineups to be honest and would like to avoid them if I could and that is why I try to fish the lesser accessible spots, but even those are sometimes crowded these days. I was gonna say good luck, but I guess you don't need it. 

I need all the luck I can get, I either didn't quote the right person or I misinterpreted your post.  Have a good one.

1 min ago, Hammerz said:

I need all the luck I can get, I either didn't quote the right person or I misinterpreted your post.  Have a good one.

In that case best of luck. 

Taking the 139 out of port authority to fish tonight in jersey.

Thinking 230-630a and then drive to the city.

If 

a) anyone needs a ride to the city tomorrow

b) anyone wants to fish with me

Please send a DM! God I want to catch a fish.

Daniel

Of interest, at least to me and maybe to you, my nephew is bringing up an 80 foot tri-master to Cape Cod. I just talked to him and he's hugging the coast and is off Spring Lake. Its black and he describes it as a pirate ship! Been on the water his whole life and is an accomplished Captain. If you're by the beach anytime over the next few hours you can catch sight of the sailboat.

I was thinking about going out to RB tonight, but I am not sure if it will be fishable due to forecasted winds.   Can somebody report on the conditions out there...  White Caps, Muddy, fishable or not ... 

Thanks in advance 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

I was thinking about going out to RB tonight, but I am not sure if it will be fishable due to forecasted winds.   Can somebody report on the conditions out there...  White Caps, Muddy, fishable or not ... 

Thanks in advance 

Friend of mine just reported that it’s ‘Dirty rough water…’ and was moving around to another spot.

Edited by DeeMonee

1 min ago, DeeMonee said:

Friend of mine just reported that it’s ‘Dirty rough water…’ and was moving around to another spot.

Thanks for the  info ...

Couple of hours before work yesterday. 3am till 5:30. Took four bass. Around 32”. Saw a few others taken. Wind cranking and cold hands still…..but it’s goooooooood fishing……

Eeeeels……….