Sudsy

April 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

574 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Was out early and had some nice stripes on the yak. Did get a bluefish so they will rage very soon depending on how many arrive and more importantly the size of them. This was that 24” size. Bass seemed to be on the move and this would answer it if bluefish are around. Bass early were nice size then the schoolies moved in then like turning the light switch off they stopped biting. Switched reels to give my shimano a break from the big fish from the last two outings and went with my saltx and one decent fish broke the drag clicker spring today. Man that’s disappointing not hearing it sing haha. Well I’ll throw one picture in..yak fish don’t count.

F6E73E68-E0F0-4653-978A-F2234F278E3B.jpeg

Nice fish  Is that a Mega Shad that you got it on  ..   Did you take measurements ...

30 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Nice fish  Is that a Mega Shad that you got it on  ..   Did you take measurements ...

No mega shad. Just a smaller gold/chrome hydro with single hooks. The green is just my grippers. I don’t measure anymore and from the kayak as it can be a pain with the bigger ones. I get them in the water as fast as I can. I lap them to help get the hook out. I know the outback is 34” so this would be upper slot.

Last four days have been very good fishing for quality stripers, one was over 25lbs and more were in that range. A couple fish in the 22" to 24" they were the exception. Hollow flys caught one nice fish but a large white Clouser was the one they couldn't resist. Saw smaller bait today, osprey was on bunker the last few days but no birds near me today. 

1651008626051.jpg

Riding the skunk train pretty hard lately. Including a couple full tide sessions through night into am. Only a few fish to speak of so far. 100% my fault.

Keep hunting, keep moving. I made a move last night (after saying to myself, "be a fisherman instead of a fisherman from last year's success") based off conditions and off to a new to me spot...

Within 30 minutes of the audible, I proceeded to drop my PB. Tight line, solid take and hookset, taking drag without turning back... Just popped off! So clean I thought a blue cut me off at first. After turning the handle a time or two, my lure was still there though. No bent hooks, all sticky, no scales...

And that was all she wrote for the shift as I had to get home for kids and work by 6a. Just ran out of time. "Almost broke my legs" to stay through the top of the tide...

So motivated but possibly pushing the limits at home. 

So motivated that I don't know what I said before this... :) Shhhh!

7 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Ha! I know. Thanks, someone here taught me that trick. The handle knob is on the sand not the reel…was it @pressphotog?

Yeah that's me.  :wave:  I still catch hell for doing that - it never ends.  All I know is that I've never had sand enter a reel in this way.  I can't say I ever killed a reel with sand for that matter.   Anyway... glad my trick has rubbed off on you.

My latest report. 

• Bay fish are all spread out now and with that the googans seem to be heading back into their caves again thank goodness. 
  • I've found a nice pod of fish holding in the same area for the last 5 days.  
  • The last 4 all they wanted were my custom made Danny Lures I tweak to my style. 
  • Today they hated that and the top water bite was off the hook instead which was a blast.   
  • A nice full spread of healthy fish from 24 to 39 inch fish. 
  • I watched 3 solid fluke caught nearby.  One had to be a least a 5 or 6 pounder. (released). 
  • Hoping this quick cold snap doesn't mess everything up again. 

I thought "Googans" don't arrive till after "Memorial Day".  You may have to rename it "Resident Googans".  If you're going to put a title on folks, you might have to think about it.  Just saying.  LOL.

Out early this morning 2 hours before high tide to fish the incoming out back in monmouth county. Hard left to right sweep with the wind. Had to work keeping the bow in the line away and getting the plug to participate. No bait that I could see. I foul hooked a small ray on a needle plug. And had some super light taps on a white swim shad. And that's all she wrote. This spring has been horrific for me. All work and no pay. Kinda fitting because I had the greatest December ever fishing out front. I think I'm going to be a late bloomer again this year. As always fishing is consistently inconsistent. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/25/2022 at 3:56 PM, adobo said:

When I had my long skunkathon, this is the main reason I was skunking. I was staying away from the crowds instead of trying to learn how they were catching. 

Thats a crock, no disrespect because you sound like a nice person.  I took 2 years off from striped bass fishing and just got back into it this spring.  The first night out I had fish all night, not a soul in sight.   If your goal is to catch, your methods will work, but when your spots get shut down what are you going to do?      Call your friends?  Maybe invade another spot that very few people have been fishing for years, sounds about right.  I can only imagine how the guys fishing before me feel.

In the Spring time I like to chunk/liveline, it’s just what I do.          The last Spring I fished I was pushed out of spots because of big mouths like I see here talking about lineups.  One night in particular, I had teen to upper 20lb fish all alone for a week and a half.  I show up, there are 2 guys basically holding hands throwing small plugs..  I figure screw it I’ll walk past them 30-40 yards and see what happens..  It was a dead silent night, I hear these Clowns talking crap,” I couldn’t throw bait etc etc.”  They are catching dinks, camera flashing, yelling right behing houses, the 9.  I’m getting a lot of salad, I figure I’d let these goof balls have fun and hit another spot.  The next night I pull into the parking lot and there are about 15 trucks.  I walk over and there are literally 20 people in a lineup catching schoolies.  Yes a 30” fish is a schoolie.

edit- It did take me

3 places to find bait though, I’m rusty.

Edited by Hammerz

Go out with the boys last night in MoCo. Didn’t get touched for the first two hours. After dark it was mayhem. Buddy had a 47”. Biggggg Danny’s and a 1/2 oz jig head with an S&S Bucktails 9” savage shad were the ticket. Only took one picture. 

885FFDCB-2A02-4D04-A29D-E321CA69C87C.jpeg

18 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Well I’ll throw one picture in..yak fish don’t count.

Hey now wait a minute!

:out:

Put together a pair of skunks from yesterday evening:

Late report from yesterday. Evening dusk bite out back. Several spots. The yak fleet was all over. It was obvious why they were all out there from the posts. However, it was quiets from shore. I only saw 1 fish caught from a trolling boat. Had 1 good hit near dusk and just couldn’t get a solid hook set.

This AM, sunrise, 1 hr out front. Wind blowing WNW, beginning of outgoing, nice surf, no rubbish at this stretch. A nice surfer did come by and gave me a plug that they found. It seemed pretty beat up and starting to split. Anyway, threw the bag. Skunk. 

20 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Put together a pair of skunks from yesterday evening:

Late report from yesterday. Evening dusk bite out back. Several spots. The yak fleet was all over. It was obvious why they were all out there from the posts. However, it was quiets from shore. I only saw 1 fish caught from a trolling boat. Had 1 good hit near dusk and just couldn’t get a solid hook set.

This AM, sunrise, 1 hr out front. Wind blowing WNW, beginning of outgoing, nice surf, no rubbish at this stretch. A nice surfer did come by and gave me a plug that they found. It seemed pretty beat up and starting to split. Anyway, threw the bag. Skunk. 

Next time, try the plugs in the bag.

Should be out soon. A lot of obligations, coupled with laziness, has kept me away from the salt. These old bones don't handle the cold like they used to. Golden years my ass!

See you soon.