Sudsy

April 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

574 posts in this topic

36 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

Making two batches of cornmeal right now. Heading out tomorrow for my first carp outing of the season. 

think you posted your recipe in the past, but could you repost it?

4 mins ago, TimS said:

You can also adjust the sink rate with different pork trailers - a 5" or 7" chunky pork trailer will really let you slow down your retrieve. You can fish a lighter bucktail with a large thick pork trailer amazingly slow, almost like a plug. Large rubber trailers like a 7" fin-s-fish or sluggo on a lighter ball jig will work as well.  Like Brian said, excellent report...bass drift feeding in a rip are very much like trout feeding in a seam :th:

Thanks, Tim. Great tips, I appreciate it and will definitely be carrying a bit more variety these next few weeks. 

It always amazes me how something as simple as lead molded on a hook can be dressed up so many different ways for so many different results. Dense ties and sparse ties, small trailers and large trailers, head shapes, colors, materials… There’s always something different to try, something new to learn, somewhere else to explore. God I love fishin’. 

1 hour ago, mr. mr said:

Thanks, Tim. Great tips, I appreciate it and will definitely be carrying a bit more variety these next few weeks. 

It always amazes me how something as simple as lead molded on a hook can be dressed up so many different ways for so many different results. Dense ties and sparse ties, small trailers and large trailers, head shapes, colors, materials… There’s always something different to try, something new to learn, somewhere else to explore. God I love fishin’. 

I'll piggy back off the previous suggestion. Your trailer type can significantly impact fall rate and can entice different bites. I dont want to go into specifics because there are so many factors that we've had entire threads on the topic. If you get one bite on the bucktail, there are likely a lot of fish down there and certain trailer types can be used to get more bites. The type of trailer can impact your success and can change 6 times during a tide. Test, test, test. Youll see what im saying.

50+” fish on megashads are nice.  Megashads are known to take big fish. They took a 54# a few years ago near where your fishing

MoCo Outback Last night  9:00 PM to 12:30 PM   Nice night with moderate South Wind.   No waves, just breeze rippled calm water with the wind to my back.   I started out with a Loaded Redfin but wasn't having any luck...   Switched over to a big MagDarter but I kept bumping bottom and pulling up weeds.   So I switched over to my Alans Custom Glider but still ended up dragging bottom and pulling up weeds.     Ok So I thought that I would try to go another way and I put on an old Gibbs Danny.  No more problems with weeds but still no Love....  By this time the incoming tide was ripping so I decided to switch over to a suspending glider.   Shortly afterwards I got my first hookup.   The fish didn't take any drag but it felt like a pretty good one.   It turned out to be a nice 31 inch slot fish.   It swallowed my glider deep and I ended up harvesting it for the table.    5 Minutes later I hookup again and this is a much better fish that was taking some nice runs on my pretty tight drag...  Unfortunately the fish ran to my right and tangled with the guy that was fishing to my right. The other guy was trying to manage the tangled lines and the fish ran right at him and dragged the lure across his waders and tore a hole in his waders.    Ended up walking it into the beach to unhook it.   It looked like it was an above slot fish and the other guy said he thought it was about 20#    I took a quick pic that doesn't do it any justice but I wanted to get it back in the water after the long ordeal.   It took a few minutes to revive the fish but it swam off strong...   I saw one or 2 fish caught in the next 15 minutes but then it went dead ...  Nothing at all for the next hour and half.    I was just getting ready to pack it in when I got another hit.   That fish turned out to be one of those hunchback fish.  Looked like it was below slot sized but still put up a decent fight.     Stayed for another half hour but it was dead ....  

Hunchback Striper.jpg

3 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

MoCo Outback Last night  9:00 PM to 12:30 PM   Nice night with moderate South Wind.   No waves, just breeze rippled calm water with the wind to my back.   I started out with a Loaded Redfin but wasn't having any luck...   Switched over to a big MagDarter but I kept bumping bottom and pulling up weeds.   So I switched over to my Alans Custom Glider but still ended up dragging bottom and pulling up weeds.     Ok So I thought that I would try to go another way and I put on an old Gibbs Danny.  No more problems with weeds but still no Love....  By this time the incoming tide was ripping so I decided to switch over to a suspending glider.   Shortly afterwards I got my first hookup.   The fish didn't take any drag but it felt like a pretty good one.   It turned out to be a nice 31 inch slot fish.   It swallowed my glider deep and I ended up harvesting it for the table.    5 Minutes later I hookup again and this is a much better fish that was taking some nice runs on my pretty tight drag...  Unfortunately the fish ran to my right and tangled with the guy that was fishing to my right. The other guy was trying to manage the tangled lines and the fish ran right at him and dragged the lure across his waders and tore a hole in his waders.    Ended up walking it into the beach to unhook it.   It looked like it was an above slot fish and the other guy said he thought it was about 20#    I took a quick pic that doesn't do it any justice but I wanted to get it back in the water after the long ordeal.   It took a few minutes to revive the fish but it swam off strong...   I saw one or 2 fish caught in the next 15 minutes but then it went dead ...  Nothing at all for the next hour and half.    I was just getting ready to pack it in when I got another hit.   That fish turned out to be one of those hunchback fish.  Looked like it was below slot sized but still put up a decent fight.     Stayed for another half hour but it was dead ....  

Hunchback Striper.jpg

Congrats nice fish..that fish has scoliosis. Glad to see its still feeding.  Amazing creatures. Haven't seen one of those in a while.

33 mins ago, mike07gsxr said:

Googans to the left of me, dillys to the right here I am...

I didnt see you at yer spot. You were smart to not be there. 

1 hour ago, imdannoir said:

Shoulder to shoulder (XYZ location)… didn’t see any bass 6-9pm tonight, saw someone catch a flounder. Skunk

back at it in the am…

That place I omitted -  it’s not a county. 

6 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Hunchback Striper.jpg

Nice. I just started fishing the Alan’s Combat and Dart in bunker patterns and their action looks so good…