Sudsy

April 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

574 posts in this topic

Hit a few spots tonight, didn’t get out of the car at two of them due to the level of participation. I need to start going out later. I’m sure fish were around since it was shoulder to shoulder in one particular location. I took the skunk instead. 

7 hours ago, Wolfox433 said:

Didn't know XYZ was a location, I thought it was a county (pretty big). My BAD sorry.  Ok fish was caught today in north jersey.  Very nice size.  kept one for the table.  Didn't post pics cause i didn't want to show location and don't have editing skillz.

Get out there Boyz.  Fish r Biting.

:face:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Quiet night in RB. Dead calm towards the end. Not much life, bait seemed sporadic and fish I did mark had lockjaw.   Two to 33" was all she wrote. 

Edited by GeoffT

On 4/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, DeeMonee said:

Tried out front down south. Wind out of the NW, middle of incoming. Nice looking water with a decent amount of suds. Dolphin out either on bait or bumpin’ uglies. Walked a stretch with one other dude. Saw he caught a short on a plug. Had an osprey dive and try to take my SP minnow. Thankfully I didn’t snag it. Walked north and found a rat’s nest. A short flurry of fish with my first rat double of the season and a huge shad on the teaser and white keitech. Another osprey wanted in on the action and dove for the keitech too. Never had an osprey go for any of my lures before but 2 in one day is bananas. Anyway, ended up with 9 bass and the shad. Happy Easter Gang!

BBCD744F-2E81-4FEB-A40C-ADBE1E553036.jpeg

Those are huge lures you are using!!! they make the fish look so tiny.

Landed a nice one on my lunch break on a bone mag darter. Out back.  Overall satisfied with this spring. Not as many outings but gettin some quality fish and trying to not run with the herd. Whys it gotta be so cold n breezy though? I guess im gettin soft. 

Another 3 straight days of skunking for me but not to worry,I will break the streak tomorrow for sure and wont report catching. Enjoy the weekend all. 

Got out just before dark, low tide wasn't expecting much until the tide started moving but I was wrong.  Hooked up on my very first cast.  Ended up landing 8 between 24" and 34" and lost a bunch more.  Hooked into a real big fish that started ripping  drag with violent head shakes.  I started gaining line on it but then it took another big run and another head shake and it was gone.  I reeled in and checked my leader and lure and found that one of the hooks was bent almost straight.  Brand new lure, first night fishing with it.  Time to swap out hooks!

20220421_191530.jpg

nice post mr.mr.  

I agree with most of your sentiment. 

new guys starting, this is the kind of detail that you should be paying attention to while fishing.

did you add a jig in the rotation to grab some of the deeper more neutral fish?

Have been out there a few times this week staying with the local waters out front and a look or two in the back.  Still not a lot happening just picking up a couple of dinks.  Some nice looking water today on a great morning to walk the sand.

The interesting part that I find is when the wind completely dies in certain areas the bite just completely shuts down.  This has been consistent for me over the past several years..  Like a light switch, completely off

1 hour ago, BrianZ said:

nice post mr.mr.  

I agree with most of your sentiment. 

new guys starting, this is the kind of detail that you should be paying attention to while fishing.

did you add a jig in the rotation to grab some of the deeper more neutral fish?

Yes, worked a few different jigs throughout the bite but couldn’t get any one of them dialed in. There wasn’t much depth to work with and it was a very fine line between too heavy and too light. Heavier jigs could reach the productive zone but I felt I had to retrieve too quickly, and I felt I couldn’t quite put the lighter jigs where they needed to be. Might sound crazy, but I think all I needed was either a 5/8 oz jig instead of a 1/2 oz or a 3/4 oz bucktail tied bulkier than anything I had. Maybe then I could have gotten that sweet, sweet gliiiiide along the bottom. 

Making two batches of cornmeal right now. Heading out tomorrow for my first carp outing of the season. 

22 mins ago, mr. mr said:

Might sound crazy, but I think all I needed was either a 5/8 oz jig instead of a 1/2 oz or a 3/4 oz bucktail tied bulkier than anything I had. Maybe then I could have gotten that sweet, sweet gliiiiide along the bottom. 

You can also adjust the sink rate with different pork trailers - a 5" or 7" chunky pork trailer will really let you slow down your retrieve. You can fish a lighter bucktail with a large thick pork trailer amazingly slow, almost like a plug. Large rubber trailers like a 7" fin-s-fish or sluggo on a lighter ball jig will work as well.  Like Brian said, excellent report...bass drift feeding in a rip are very much like trout feeding in a seam :th: