New home....finish work in progress

Rate this topic

Rmarsh

Nice stuff! That's my favorite way to do cabs, double stack with facia and crown. uses space well and no top of cab to gather dustbunnies and junk. Also like the crowned casings so much more than mitered. A little hard to see, is that 1/2" bullnose at the bottom, flat, then 3/4 bullnose at the top with a flush end? 

2 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

You're retiring??!!!

Say it aint so...

I guess then I only have thirteen years left to beat ya ;)

I'll keep working.......but my hands are shot. The younger guys I work with are getting better all the time. Like to think I've helped some and will be showing them more advanced stuff I know how to do......so when the time comes they are prepared.

A very fussy homeowner once came to see me at the job...new home .....to tell me he had spent $80 grand on his cabinets and said firmly that the installation "has to be perfect"

I put my hand on his shoulder and kindly said "sir, it's not to late to get someone else......because after doing this job for many years I have yet to do anything that is perfect in every way. I can only do my best like i would want it done for me". I think he understood his poor choice of words...because he said "oh no....you can go ahead"

On 4/1/2022 at 4:59 PM, gellfex said:

Nice stuff! That's my favorite way to do cabs, double stack with facia and crown. uses space well and no top of cab to gather dustbunnies and junk. Also like the crowned casings so much more than mitered. A little hard to see, is that 1/2" bullnose at the bottom, flat, then 3/4 bullnose at the top with a flush end? 

Windows and doors have side casings of flat stock 1x4 (3/4" x 3 1/2").... top or header casing is 5/4" x 6" (1" x 5 1/2") The header casing overhangs the side casings 1/4"... like it does on the front because of the thickness difference.... and the 3/4" x 1 1/2"  cap on top overhangs the header a half inch on the front and sides. This type of trim.... as opposed to mitered casings is more affected by inconsistencies in plaster and wall thickness......to be truly flat...it sometimes requires some plaster removal. Made worse when framing is sloppy ...studs un aligned headers too thick or proud of the studs...etc.

Edited by Rmarsh

2 hours ago, JimP said:

Dam, I wish I lived closer to you so I could volunteer to be your wood bitch and just pick up some tips in the process.  I appreciate true craftsmanship - in any form.  Well done.  

I've been working for the same company along with two other guys for twenty years...I already had more than twenty five years when I got there......recently just added two new younger guys to the crew who look promising.

Twenty eight new house lots just got approved with 10  houses presold. The new guys will learn if they watch closely......or ask.

Edited by Rmarsh

23 hours ago, Rmarsh said:

I struggled a little getting the seven foot high by four foot wide Subzero to fit. Hood fan had some ridiculous cfms...needed make up air. The adjacent cased openings are eight feet high...notice the six eight doors beyond for perspective

Resized_20170630_132249_1099.jpg.18c29e3e3f715c8f126300135def51ce.jpg

Edited by Rmarsh

8 hours ago, Rmarsh said:

Customer asked for a "perfect installation".......couldnt quite meet that standard.....but I would say I did an adequate job.

Resized_20170630_132304_8757.jpg.a8b717d02967753b787f1151cfb6acf3.jpg

So THAT'S what $80k of cabinets looks like!  I think I spent like $7k on cherry Kraftmaid for ours. I notice that like half of these are wood not white, is the pendulum swinging back, or it's just random? I hate white kitchens.

Edited by gellfex

16 hours ago, gellfex said:

So THAT'S what $80k of cabinets looks like!  I think I spent like $7k on cherry Kraftmaid for ours. I notice that like half of these are wood not white, is the pendulum swinging back, or it's just random? I hate white kitchens.

Gellfex.......that includes all the high end appliances,,,,bath cabinets and countertops.......subzero 4" wide alone lists for $13,500....I should have been clearer in that. the cabinets are all 100% custom.....also more to the kitchen than the picture shows.  I do a lot of Kraftmaid on our lower end houses....no comparison imo.

Stair pics of this one.

20220404_080658.jpg.27e0992bae3571706b858d3fa89c7201.jpg

20220404_080755.jpg

Edited by Rmarsh