zmkm

Chu opening

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I just set up a bubble with 4# line

Except I put on a wolly

Did you rig it wacky style with a wobbling Willie??????????????

The water is so low, the other day I easily walked completely around the SC....while trying out some light SW rods.

Another great activity @ the resy this year is tackle hunting.   The water is so low you can many times see lures & other tackle in the water....fun for the whole family, as you walk the shoreline.   Bring a long rod & waterproof shoes.

I found this huge 1 1/8oz. Johnson Silver Minnow last time I was there.    Another week a 2oz. lead sinker on a 3-way rig.

DSCF8325.JPG

I had a crazy morning recently down the Chu when I went looking for smallies at first light. I had a couple dozen smallies in  4-6 inches of water tailing just a couple feet from shore. Was throwing a jumping minnow and caught a bunch with the biggest 5.5 but most were spooky. Went back the next 3 mornings same place same time and same conditions and didn’t see or catch a thing. And yes I’m going again in a couple hours

I fished it Saturday morning. Perfect conditions, not a sniff. Tried rapalas on top, spooks, soft swim baits, spoons and even a senko. I left with my legs being yellow from my knees down due to the pollen.  Did have a close encounter with 3 deer which was cool. According to my phone I walked almost 3 miles. It was better than doing a tread mill or elliptical at the gym. Much better scenery. 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Albiejay said:

I had a couple dozen smallies in  4-6 inches of water tailing just a couple feet from shore. Was throwing a jumping minnow and caught a bunch with the biggest 5.5 but most were spooky.

Ever heard of smallmouth wolfpacks? I've seen them at Quabbin. I don't target smallies at the 'Chu that much post spawn so I haven't run into them there yet. It's a well know behavior so I'm sure it happens at the 'Chu as well.

Big smallies form small packs so they can help each other trap baitfish for an easy meal. They patrol around shallower water near drop offs to deeper water. Quabbin boat guys do well fishing them because they can put caught bass into a livewell. Then they can continue to fish the pack without spooking them.

Went back the next 3 mornings same place same time and same conditions and didn’t see or catch a thing.

Not a surprise. The wolfpacks are on hunt looking for food, especially post spawn, so they're moving & searching for a meal.

Edited by zak-striper

Posted (edited)

37 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Ever heard of smallmouth wolfpacks? 

Small  mouth wolfpack=kleiner mund wolfsrudel

Edited by bob_G

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

do i want some cherry strudel?? sure!  :)

11 mins ago, bob_G said:

You sly old dog...........SPOT BURN........................

No never have but makes sense. They had a bunch of bait pinned down along the shoreline. Was amazing to witness and video

51 mins ago, bob_G said:

Das bot

On 6/7/2022 at 9:26 AM, zak-striper said:

Ever heard of smallmouth wolfpacks? I've seen them at Quabbin. I don't target smallies at the 'Chu that much post spawn so I haven't run into them there yet. It's a well know behavior so I'm sure it happens at the 'Chu as well.

Big smallies form small packs so they can help each other trap baitfish for an easy meal. They patrol around shallower water near drop offs to deeper water. Quabbin boat guys do well fishing them because they can put caught bass into a livewell. Then they can continue to fish the pack without spooking them.

Not a surprise. The wolfpacks are on hunt looking for food, especially post spawn, so they're moving & searching for a meal.

I've seen the same behavior with LMB but only once in my life. I was fishing spot pond in Arlington and the water was bubbling right near the shore. I pulled in 5 LMB in like 15 minutes, then the bait ball moved away and that was it for the afternoon