zmkm

Chu opening

Rate this topic

118 posts in this topic

Does Chu open this weekend? What’s the first lure you are going to throw? For me, it will be a blue/silver kastmaster. Good luck fishing everyone! 

6 hours ago, zmkm said:

Does Chu open this weekend?

Yes. Enjoy!

crowd.jpg.dda459bd3f17161708f220544b722488.jpg

6 hours ago, zmkm said:

What’s the first lure you are going to throw?

Depends, whether it's sunny, cloudy, at first light, mid-day, windy, the water's glass and what kind of fish I want to catch first.

But I won't be there until during next week.

I plan to hit it for a few hours Sunday morning, I will most likely throw a Rooster Tail to start, then with a little more light switch over to a tungsten kastmaster.

6 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

I plan to hit it for a few hours Sunday morning, I will most likely throw a Rooster Tail to start, then with a little more light switch over to a tungsten kastmaster.

Rooster tail one of the better and easiest fished chu laker lures. First lure I always recommend to novices. 3/4 ounce my favorite. Simply cast, let sink, pump to get blade going, and slow steady retrieve. In deeper water you may want to let it sink back to bottom mid way through retrieve. Smallmouth love them as well. 

Rooster tail one of the better and easiest fished chu laker lures. First lure I always recommend to novices. 3/4 ounce my favorite. Simply cast, let sink, pump to get blade going, and slow steady retrieve. In deeper water you may want to let it sink back to bottom mid way through retrieve. Smallmouth love them as well.

I use them often as you can get the blade to spin at a slower speed than most other spinners... I catch all kinds of fish on them except salmon... Has anyone gotten a salmon on a roostertail or other spinner?

12 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Yes. Enjoy!

crowd.jpg.dda459bd3f17161708f220544b722488.jpg

Depends, whether it's sunny, cloudy, at first light, mid-day, windy, the water's glass and what kind of fish I want to catch first.

But I won't be there until during next week.

As I'm sure you know, there are spots were you can avoid the crowds for the most part. Especially if the water is high. You can be tucked into an area where only 2 or 3 guys can fish. On opening day the main problem is getting to these spots before someone else which we seem to be able to do most years. Also you are pretty much stuck fishing this spot for the day. Ok for bait fishing but not so great if you like to cover water casting lures.

Posted (edited) · Report post

27 mins ago, Colrain said:

As I'm sure you know, there are spots were you can avoid the crowds for the most part. Especially if the water is high. You can be tucked into an area where only 2 or 3 guys can fish. On opening day the main problem is getting to these spots before someone else which we seem to be able to do most years. Also you are pretty much stuck fishing this spot for the day. Ok for bait fishing but not so great if you like to cover water casting lures.

Early April fishing can suck, especially if the water's still cold. If the weather is half way decent, the crowds will be huge. The last opening day I did, about 8-10 years ago it was sunny & in the low 70s. The spot I fished pretty much looked like the picture I facetiously posted above. It's even worse now because of social media based on the increase in crowds I saw during closing week last November.

Dealing with the crowds on opening day isn't worth it. The fishing will be just as good, and probably better, in a week or 2. In fact, the fishing is good for the entire season if you know how to fish for your target fish. I caught my personal best wachusett rainbow & salmon in July. I know a few people who've caught 10lb+   lakers in late summer, early fall, when lakers put on their pre-spawn feed bag. I caught my 'chu personal best smallie, a 5bler, in early May, a little before the spawn.

Edited by zak-striper

Sunny & windy (west)....so a heavier spoon may be in order, but maybe better for the bait brigade.  

But lets see who can afford the gas to get there?