Another Florida Adventure....

Rate this topic

jason colby

[[Template forums/front/topics/postContainer is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Nice fish.

Have you had an alligator take a fish on your line? It must happen, from time to time.

I've seen lots of gators while I'm fishing (not on this trip though) but I've never had one grab a fish from me. The ones I see are usually very small as these are residential area lakes. A large one would get the wildlife people called in for relocation. Once while I was fishing in Mexico I was nailed by a crock that ate a surface plug. I saw the thing attacking and I could not believe how fast it closed the distance; I was reeling as fast as I could! Fortunately, I did not set the hook and the thing just let go as soon as it realized "the meal" it just caught was all bone and no meat....

29 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Nice fish.

Have you had an alligator take a fish on your line? It must happen, from time to time.

I've seen places where gators are fed by tourists that you could never even get a bait or lure in the water. They rush over and grab anything thrown in the water. If somehow you avoided them long enough to hook a fish, I don't know how you could land it.

Luckily that isn't the norm. 

21 mins ago, bob_G said:

I wanna know where can I buy one of those signs?

BTW, nice fish and release. 

Those signs are everywhere, you just need to drive around a bit with an adjustable wrench. I saw one recently that said, just under similar images, paraphrasing "They're here, just because you can't see them does not make you safe". 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

BTW, great LMB catch!

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

11 mins ago, bob_G said:

I wanna know where can I buy one of those signs?

BTW, nice fish and release. 

Thank you Bob!

There are different variations of these same signs all over Florida. I'm sure if you ask a maintenance guy nice (a $20 bill)  for one of the condo complexes you should be able to score one....

Amazon for $13

SmartCows Warning Sign Safety Sign 8x12 Alligators and Snakes in Area Sign Notice Sign Caution Tin Sign

61bqa4DHTfL._AC_SL1010_.jpg

- Victor Davis Hanson 

4 hours ago, jason colby said:

I've been making it a point to go visit my mother in South Florida as much as possible in the winters. While quite healthy for 83, everyone has an expiration date so I stopped asking my wife permission years ago.

When I'm visiting, I get to fish in the mornings on the lakes by her house and those lakes get very little pressure except when I'm there. Though I get some pretty impressive LMB's out of there, I always feel there is (or hook/lose) something much bigger in there. Lets face it, with 6 pound mono that is who knows how old and a cheap WalMart rod and reel outfit it's a wonder I caught a 7 1/2 pounder last year as well as many over 5 pounds. A week ago from today though I hooked and landed one in a whole other class. On that morning I did do something a little different and that is I used a imitation frog. It seemed that every fish over 3 pounds in the lake wanted to eat it with all their hearts and souls so when I positioned myself in the spot where I've seen the biggest large mouth bass that has ever attacked me in past years, I was ready. On the first cast in that spot I had a take with a big swirl and I sunk the hook into what felt like a substantial chunk of meat. Even so, I was not prepared to see what came halfway out of the water!

This bass was so big it could not get it's body more than 1/2 out but the head alone was big enough to tell me all I needed to know; this was the biggest LMB I've ever hooked! I took it really easy on a very light drag and very fortunately the fish swam away from the weeds and into the middle of the lake. I've never had a freshwater bass pull 50 feet of drag before and right out in the middle of this little lake this bass "tried to" jump at least two more times but each time she got less of her bulk above water. I can't say how big she was other than I know she was well over 10 pounds. She was very tired and I wanted to get he back in the water as quickly as possible and that I can happily say went well as she swam off slow but strong.

Perhaps she was 12 or 13? I'll never know and I don't really care. Something about fresh water fishing is like eating tofu to me. It can fill you up but it isn't very satisfying.....

sign0322.jpeg

lmb0322.jpeg

Nice catch and writeup

troll #122  <*)))<