linesiderdemdnj

Epoxy cracking badly on rod I built

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I built this rod last year, a 10’ fsc titan, and I was examining my guides and the epoxy appears to be cracking very badly. I’m not sure if it is because my guides are spaced a little further apart than they should be, or if I just did not put enough epoxy on them?

pics attached. 

can I just put epoxy on these areas and it will fill in? Or am I looking at redoing the guides all together?  

thank you

edited to add - I used diamond d2 epoxy. 

thanks

41D7B131-0D26-4B71-9CE5-0F1BFB4B4118.jpeg

3CB24002-1169-41AD-AA84-23D1FEA4DD43.jpeg

E3573FA0-E665-4EE3-9EC5-237462FE55E2.jpeg

92129F0E-0045-42DC-AD4F-2AFF9D06CA45.jpeg

Edited by linesiderdemdnj

Thread not wrapped completely up guide feet and excess epoxy behind guide feet both contribute to the cracking.  D2 does seem (to me) to be more brittle when cured than ProKote.   Rewrap is best fix.

I agree with Mango. You don’t necessarily need the thread wraps to go completely up the guide feet but if you do as you did the finish needs to end at the thread and can’t go any farther if not…

31 mins ago, Mangomania said:

Thread not wrapped completely up guide feet and excess epoxy behind guide feet both contribute to the cracking.  D2 does seem (to me) to be more brittle when cured than ProKote.   Rewrap is best fix.

Pro kote has a very soft feeling to it and almost feels sticky to me. Would I be able to get away with a light coat of pro kote as a first coat and then finish with d2?

25 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I agree with Mango. You don’t necessarily need the thread wraps to go completely up the guide feet but if you do as you did the finish needs to end at the thread and can’t go any farther if not…

Got it. I just wrapped to the tang on the front foot, and feel like I would be wrapping on a sharp surface further up it. Do you think it is safe to keep using the rod? 

28 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Pro kote has a very soft feeling to it and almost feels sticky to me. Would I be able to get away with a light coat of pro kote as a first coat and then finish with d2?

Use Billy’s mix - prokote and threadmaster mixed together. 

28 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Got it. I just wrapped to the tang on the front foot, and feel like I would be wrapping on a sharp surface further up it. Do you think it is safe to keep using the rod? 

I’d have zero problem fishing that rod as is. 

I’d hate looking at it though. But, I’d be too lazy to fix it and just fish it. 

16 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I’d have zero problem fishing that rod as is. 

I’d hate looking at it though. But, I’d be too lazy to fix it and just fish it. 

I’m in that boat right now lol. I will fix up soon though. 

16 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Use Billy’s mix - prokote and threadmaster mixed together. 

Got it. 

now would d2 and pro kote be worth giving a shot? I could just try it in a random old rod to see how it does

16 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Got it. 

now would d2 and pro kote be worth giving a shot? I could just try it in a random old rod to see how it does

I would say try it. The mix is the only thing that I use now. ~50/50 but I’ve used other mixes as well. The TM is a harder finish, prokote (and aftcote) are softer. The mix is perfect imho. 

19 hours ago, Mangomania said:

Agree.  FWIW, Gen 4 has yielded great results for me.

Oh thats nothing :) mine is much worse but the guides aren't falling off and i dont notice it in the dark 

Common issue.

The rod flex’s differently than the guides and the epoxy. Something has to give.

You went too heavy on the epoxy behind the guide feet. Not necessary for the way you wrapped the guides. As said stop where the tread ends.

If you had an under wrap then you can fill the tunnel with epoxy but again go lightly to avoid the epoxy from separating from the guide.

Just fish it, it will work fine for many years.

22 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I would say try it. The mix is the only thing that I use now. ~50/50 but I’ve used other mixes as well. The TM is a harder finish, prokote (and aftcote) are softer. The mix is perfect imho. 

Awesome man I’m gonna try that. Appreciate the help