MaCe1

Loose Reel Seat

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have an Okuma Halogen baitcast rod, the reel seat is loose so the reel wobbles-for lack of a better word- side to side. Is there a way to repair this? I don't know anything about rod building. Any help or suggestion appreciated .

Call Customer service -  (805) 548 - 2001  -  If they can't/won't help:

Looks to me as though the blank is exposed on top side of seat.

If seat is so loose that it rotates 360 degrees - apply a good epoxy (my choice for rod building - West System GFlex 650) to visable blank in seat.  Then rotate seat to spread epoxy all the e[way around.  You may have to apply more epoxy as you rotate.

Make sure you  re-center seat.  Wipe off excess epoxy with DRY paper towel.  Then clean with paper towel slightly damped with alcohol.  Make sure towel is not soaking wet with alcohol - the alcohol will wick into seat and weaken the bond.

Herb

I fixed one by drilling a hole into the reel seat under where the reel foot sits and forcing in some rod paste/epoxy. Seems to be working well. 

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, mtfallon88 said:

I fixed one by drilling a hole into the reel seat under where the reel foot sits and forcing in some rod paste/epoxy. Seems to be working well. 

MaCe,

With a seat with exposed blank - means you have no bushing under the seat - means if you drill - you will be drilling through blank.

Herb

Edited by HL

Herb,

Not yet. The rod is at shore house, was hoping to get there this weekend but did not. I will update once I get to work on the rod. Thanks for the follow-up.

MaCe1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:43 AM, HL said:

MaCe1

Did you do anything yet?  Keep up apprised.

Herb

Finally got around to this, used some marine sealant. Will see how it holds up.

MaC

Unfortunatley - probably not.  Too viscus and it's a sealant - not an adheasive.

Herb