.410 Shotgun

Rate this topic

Mummichog

31 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Who shoots one and who can tell me about them.  Is it overkill for hunting?  Is the recoil brutal?

If you shoot a 410 in the Tavern it will bust your arm and totally destroy anything within 500 feet of whatever your shooting at, here in the Enfield it's considered an experts gun. Now what would you like to know?

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

Just now, Bass Ackwards said:

If you shoot a 410 in the Tavern it will bust your arm and totally destroy anything within 500 feet of whatever your shooting at, here in the Enfield it's considered an experts gun. Now what would you like to know?

Why does it have a different reputation in the tavern than here?

Just now, Mummichog said:

Why does it have a different reputation in the tavern than here?

Oye vey. It has something to do with real and fictional.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

I think it's a decent small game round.  Very low recoil. Horrible strung out pattern, but works. I shoot it like you would a rifle.  Static targets mainly, but better at running/moving stuff than a 22.  

Shots that I would pass over with a rifle due to safety issues, skylighted animals for example, I would probably take with a .410 if in range.  

The shells are small and light.  If you hike alot and wanna keep weight down. Thats a nice bonus.  The guns are usually nice and light too.  

.410 as a self defense round I don't know much about.  Would probably do just fine at most problems with a good loading.  

42 mins ago, Mummichog said:

It seems to have a mystique about it.

In general, a 12, 16, 20, 28, and 410 gauge all shoot skeet loads at the same speed, about 1200FPS. The big difference is the amount of shot in the shells. A 410 skeet load has 1/2 ounce of shot where as a 20 gauge skeet load has 1 ounce of shot and a 12 gauge skeet load has 1&1/8 ounce of shot. And to confuse you even more, a 12, 16, 20, and 28 are gauges, the 410 technically isn't.

I’ve got a Mossberg 500 in .410 that is almost as old as me and it’s killed it’s share of Downeast partridge over the years. I like the round and the gun but it’s definitely for skilled shooters and not a great kids gun like it was passed of as way back in the day. These days finding ammo is super tricky and you will pay double than a comparable 12 ga box of shells. In the Tavern it’s considered a weapon of mass destruction but in the real world not so much. 

So, I got my first 410 when I was 8 years old.  An Ithaca single shot.  Lever action to break barrel.  Took 2.5 - 3 inch loads.  I got another one later in life.  A Savage, 410 over 22lr.  I love the Ithaca.  My son shot his first squirrel with that shotgun and my friends’ sons have used it to take their first game as well.  I’ve shot all manner of game with that in my youth.  I eventually moved up to a 20ga/22lb for small game and eventually the 12.  But that single shot 410 will always have a soft spot in my heart.

Just wanted to get a conversation going about the 410.  It doesn’t seem to get much press, except for a few jokes here and there.

2 hours ago, giggyfish said:

I’ve got a Mossberg 500 in .410 that is almost as old as me and it’s killed it’s share of Downeast partridge over the years. I like the round and the gun but it’s definitely for skilled shooters and not a great kids gun like it was passed of as way back in the day. These days finding ammo is super tricky and you will pay double than a comparable 12 ga box of shells. In the Tavern it’s considered a weapon of mass destruction but in the real world not so much. 

The small gun shops by us have 410, but it’s pricey. The 410 has been gone from the big box retailers for over a year. 
I always thought a Chiapa badger could be fun to own, a lever gun that shoots both 22lr and 410.

I wish the 28ga took the spot the .410 has. 

Better payload, low recoil, slug & buck loads are better. But keep the frame size small & light.  

A 18in 500 in 28ga about the same size as the 410 version would be the 10/22 of the shotgun world.  

Slug wise it's nearly equal to the .54cal with PRB.  And thats a load that has taken elk.  

.54cal. .530 RB weighs 230gr

28ga Brenneke. Slug. .550dia weighs 273gr.  RB would weigh 250gr.  So slightly larger but close enough.  

6242c6b5944ae_Capture_2022-03-29-04-39-07.png.6d5f6924ae43685308f465a8c43c440f.png

Capture+_2022-03-29-04-38-04.png

Edited by PSegnatelli

I've never seen a 500 in 28ga. I have a few 410's in the collection. I'll take one to a easier clay course for fun. Shell's are very expensive,  but occasionally I'll find a deal. Slugs are fairly accurate out to 100 yards. My latest is a Henry single shot. I'm digging it so far.

10 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Shots that I would pass over with a rifle due to safety issues, skylighted animals for example, I would probably take with a .410 if in range.  

EXACTLY!!  My go to Porcupine Punisher is some cheapo, single shot .410 that also came with a .22 barrel purchased at Dick's back when they still sold stuff like that.  Bought it when I realized my .20 pellet gun would only wound treed porcupines, which necessitated pulling out the old 870 12 gauge to finalize things.  Always hated using the 870 since I'd immediately clean it, but I don't care about the .410 and just stick it back into the closet dirty.  Since 99% of the time I'm shooting over a few hundred yards of water, I've never used the rifle barrel in consideration of my "over the water, backyard neighbors" and potential ricochets. 

The Admiral loves our poplar trees something the Pine Pigs love to dine on, which means I've been granted "00" status to kill any of them on sight.  When I get lucky, at high tide I might find on munching on a branch overhanging the water so I can drop it right into the water.  When that isn't the case, the carcass takes a ride in the wheelbarrow down to the dock for "burial at sea".  

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

32 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

EXACTLY!!  My go to Porcupine Punisher is some cheapo, single shot .410 that also came with a .22 barrel purchased at Dick's back when they still sold stuff like that.  Bought it when I realized my .20 pellet gun would only wound treed porcupines, which necessitated pulling out the old 870 12 gauge to finalize things.  Always hated using the 870 since I'd immediately clean it, but I don't care about the .410 and just stick it back into the closet dirty.  Since 99% of the time I'm shooting over a few hundred yards of water, I've never used the rifle barrel in consideration of my "over the water, backyard neighbors" and potential ricochets. 

The Admiral loves our poplar trees something the Pine Pigs love to dine on, which means I've been granted "00" status to kill any of them on sight.  When I get lucky, at high tide I might find on munching on a branch overhanging the water so I can drop it right into the water.  When that isn't the case, the carcass takes a ride in the wheelbarrow down to the dock for "burial at sea".  

Porkys make a fine meal.