Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Can they be targeted year-round? I assume they’ll be more active as the waters warm, and the best bet is at night. Should I focus my efforts in freshwater ponds and streams, brackish rivers, or bays?

I’ve only caught one by accident on a bunker chunk in Duxbury bay, and I’d like to try for them specifically and cook a few up. Thanks in advance!

21 mins ago, boulderdash said:

Throw a chunk at night into the Jones River.

Cool, I figured that’d be a good spot.

In my experience, good eel bites seem to be localized and seasonal. They can be caught literally any where- pond, river, bay, ocean, even on wet land as I found out one rainy morning. But successfully targeting them can be difficult in my experience.

Nighttime with stinky baits is the best bet. Searching around and finding a stretch of river with eels is likely your best chance of gettIng consistent action. But if you find them, it may behoove you to keep your lips tight. Believe it or not some hold eels in high regard and would be thrilled to drain a honey hole dry.

Ive stumbled upon a good eel bite “out front” once. I tried to replicate those results in following years by fishing that location, on that moon, in that season but have not succeeded.

Dad used to take me eel fishing, small hooks and bits-o-bait.. and timing was critical.
Early evening, as the sun began to touch the tree tops at the edge of marshes, fishing squatted along the edges of the tidal finger creeks near culverts and one-lane dirt road bridges. The bite would build  from then until sunset and then abruptly stop. He was so good at predicting the end that I thought of him as a mystic fishing god.

I grew up and knew him then as just one of the 10% catching the 90%. .. And now, with every single fishing hint, nudge and rule proven true, I wish I could tell him that I'm back to my original assessment. 

1 hour ago, Pescador710 said:

In my experience, good eel bites seem to be localized and seasonal. They can be caught..

Awesome info - looks like I’ll have some fun exploring and finding my own spots. 

1 hour ago, Shhh....Now said:

.. And now, with every single fishing hint, nudge and rule proven true, I wish I could tell him that I'm back to my original assessment. 

Seems to be the case with many things. I find myself less dismissive of my parents’ experiences and advice with each passing day, even if I still don’t agree with all of their conclusions.. :headscratch:  Anyways, your info is much appreciated, I’ll certainly try going out some late evenings.

They used to be a nuisance behind the church in Kingston when I was a kid, many nice largemouths there too 

4 hours ago, mcnar said:

Can

speaking of eels, nice avatar! when i was in college i dj'ed a jazz & blues show on my college's radio station. i own about a dozen Sun Ra cds/albums. I even own the biography about him, Space Is The Place. He was quite the bizarre jazz musician.

Posted (edited)

Many decades ago got into a scrape on the Penobscot River near Ayers Island in Orono. Real fast moving water over a big drop in a canoe fishing for smallmouth. We got sideways on a ledge and it wasnt looking good. There was a line in the water with a small float on it that we wound up grabbing to get ourselves under control. Had never seen anything like that out there. Out of curiosity we pulled it up and it was a trap stuffed with eels - you couldnt fit one more in there. There had to be 20 pounds of them. We then noticed that there were at least half a dozen floats out there. While in college, I had been fishing that stretch of water for several years and never associated it with eels, nor had ever seen pots/floats out there, or anyone else ever fishing there. Since we did alot of striper fishing on the coast, we pulled together our own trap and put it out there a few days later. We managed a couple when we went back the next day. For a week we tried and didnt get a single one. And we noticed the other traps were all gone. Whoever had those traps out there knew the deal - in and out. 

Edited by pvd1ag

Fished for them alot when I was a kid.  

Salt marshes & tidal river areas.   Always used nightcrawlers.  Big globs of em.   

From what I remember. Dusk.  

Another time we were crabbing in a salt marsh.   Chicken wings for bait on handlines.  

Caught an eel!   Pulling the eel in I caught a striper!  

They are delicious eating.   Grandma never skinned them unless they were big.  Just scaled & scraped the slime away.  Flour and fried.    Big ones were chunked and stewed a bit in a tomato/garlic broth.  

One thing I am concerned with now is heavy metal consumption & accumulation.  Eels hold alot of em.  So I (personally speaking) would keep them on the small side.  

13 hours ago, mcnar said:

Can they be targeted year-round?

I have caught them ice fishing a couple of times. Random occurrence. 

I catch them targeting catfish and bowfin at night with bait. Chunked bait , like shiners, works great. I’ve caught them now throw August 

A friend of mine had relatives with a boat slip well up inside the North River and I used to fill an eel trap there easily, sometimes there would be dozens in there between checks.  Thieves will steel not only your trap but your eels, so stealth is important.  

1 hour ago, bassturds said:

I catch them targeting catfish and bowfin at night with bait.

When I was a kid we used to catch them on the CT River with bait such as worms then we'd use the eels for chunk bait for catfish.