cabezon

Lightest 12ft+ setup for chunking bait?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi SOL,

In the market for a 12 ft+ surf rod (50/50 split) and reel that can sling a 4-5 oz sinker and a big chunk of squid as far as it will go. Looking for a combo that is as light as possible and not terribly expensive as I'll be using it on the rocks here in California. From the research I've done, looks like the Shimano Speedmaster with the Ultegra 5500 XTD Ci4+ is a possibility but want to hear what others with more experience have to say. Thx!

Edited by cabezon

I would look hard at Daiwa’s offerings in their TD surf series. Their ratings since I can remember were on the high side so their 12 2-9 would be have a sweet spot @6-7 imo. I would pass on recommending a specific reel but I would be looking at longcast and large diameter spools for sure. 

Posted (edited)

I threw an 11 ft diawa surf ,  rated I think 6-12 with 8 oz a measured 90-100 yds with 20 lb mono and shock leader … not sure if they make a 12 foot … they aren’t to expensive and can take a pounding … 

Edited by Surf bomber

The breakaway at 13 ft is heavier but maybe if you take off 6 inches from the handle it will lighten up . 

If you can get it, I use and recommend the Shimano Tiralego in both 12 and 11ft but with the Ultegra and Aero Technium in the 10000/12000 size, which is what both the Tiralego and Speedmaster in the 11ft+ length are designed for.  The 5000 size is the matched reel for lengths 10.5 foot and less. - Goes to the placement and size of both the stripper and choke guides.

As a point of reference against your intended usage, I use the 12ft Tiralego (2-6oz) for plugging up to 4oz Plugcaster Pencils and AVA 47's and the 11ft (3-6oz) for throwing large rigged eels.  

@redfin @Surf bomber do you know how much the TD Surf 12 footer weighs? I couldn't find any info online

@FlatWing I can definitely pick up either the Speedmaster or the Tiralejo, but I can't seem to find the 10000 online, and the Aero Technium is way too nice to bang up on the rocks here :). There's a 14000 XTD Ultegra if that'll work?

The Team Daiwa 12’ weights  17.6 oz (info provided by a customer rep from a well know tackle website).

2 hours ago, cabezon said:

@redfin @Surf bomber do you know how much the TD Surf 12 footer weighs? I couldn't find any info online

@FlatWing I can definitely pick up either the Speedmaster or the Tiralejo, but I can't seem to find the 10000 online, and the Aero Technium is way too nice to bang up on the rocks here :). There's a 14000 XTD Ultegra if that'll work?

The difference between the 6000, 10000 and 14000 spools is depth, and therefore line capacity - the spool height and diameter are the same, so the casting potential is the same for the same "fill height".  The Aero Technium has 100 wraps of line for one cycle of spool travel (not sure if this is in one direction or combination of both) and the Ultegra has 50 wraps, so the Aero Technium has, on paper, the better casting distance potential, which likely none of us will ever achieve.  I believe Donny Moskops used an Aero Technuim to achieve a world record distance of 840+ feet, but don't quote me

150gm

Fixed Spool - 0.31mm

256.26m

Danny Moeskops, April '08

Posted (edited)

@FlatWing does the guide positioning on the Speedmaster 12 footer work best with the 14000 size Ultegra? I've also heard reports of the 14000 getting bent under snags or heavy load, so was also considering the Daiwa Long Cast reels (Cross Cast/Emblem). What rods + guide positioning work best with the Daiwa LC products to avoid wind knots and similar nastiness?

Edited by cabezon

@cabezon Check out the following shops/sites  Nicks custom rods, Frank and Frans, Hatteras Custom Rods and Red drum tackle.  They all either build or stock built cts rods.  

you may also want to check out tommy farmers Carolina cast pro rods.  He also has a variety of rods that will fill you needs.  

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, cabezon said:

@FlatWing does the guide positioning on the Speedmaster 12 footer work best with the 14000 size Ultegra? I've also heard reports of the 14000 getting bent under snags or heavy load, so was also considering the Daiwa Long Cast reels (Cross Cast/Emblem). What rods + guide positioning work best with the Daiwa LC products to avoid wind knots and similar nastiness?

I have never seen a Speedmaster up close, but if you can wait about a week, I can measure the guide spacing/size for both my 12ft and 11ft Tiralegos.  If they are identical, then the answer is yes.  All I could find on-line is an end of video mention that the Speedmaster rods are matched to the Speedmaster reels.

The "bending" issue refers to the reel shaft bending, this is a common problem for any LC reel if one tries to fish it like a VS, VR, Penn Torque or similar reel. i.e., high sticking it under load.  This includes the Daiwa LC reels as well.  The key component that makes LC reels susceptible to "Bending" in the gear train is the worm drive for the shaft, which facilitates the Long Stroke that makes a reel long cast.  These reels are meant to be fished the "old fashioned" way, which involved pumping and reeling a fish to shore or boat.  The rod is raised with the reel being motionless, and then the fish is reeled in as the rod is lowered.

As regards extrication from snags, no rod should be high-sticked under these circumstances.  The rod should be pointed at the snag, the reel should be locked down, with the drag tight, but also with the spool cupped, so as not to side-load the reel shaft/rotor, and the rod should be walked away from the snag.  High sticking against a snag has been the demise of many a rod due to exceeding the rods designed hoop strength.

On a final note - I recently called Daiwa USA to see if they still support my Saltiga Surf, Tournament Basia or Tournament Millionaire Mag 7ht conventional reel - ended up finding out that not only are these reels cancelled, and therefore no longer supported, but also, the Windcast QD, Crosscast QD, and Emblem reels are also cancelled.  But to address your guide layout question, all of my rods that are matched to Daiwa LC reels, including my EDM/JDM Emblem Surf 35QD SCM, feature Fuji BMNAG or Fuji BSVAG guides with the original NGC layout. This locates the choke ring at 27x the height of the spool off the blank, measured from the fully extended spool face.  For the most part, my stripper guides are 40mm, with some of my "mono-filament" tournament/fishing rod builds using a 50mm.  The number of guides equates to the length of the rod, i.e., 11 guides for an 11ft rod, 12 for a 12ft, etc.  My running guides are 12mm on my "mono-filament" tournament/fishing rods, to accommodate the heavy mono shock leader knot.  On rods I built strictly for braid, using a spliced hollow-core shock leader, my running guides are 10 to 8 mm, depending on length/power of the rod, to minimize tip weight and maximize tip recovery speed.  The blanks for these spinning builds are Zipplex F2 Vmax (14ft 125g max), Zziplex Primo Full Tournament (14ft 150g max), CTS s8 (13ft 18-0g max) and Century Slingshot HJ144L (cut down to 12ft 3in, 1-4oz).

Hope this was helpful.

Edited by FlatWing

Posted (edited)

Daiwa ballistic for like $350 is probably one of the nicest mid range. If you’re using it with a spinner I’d get it built with spinning guides. They come with guides that are supposed to work with both spinning and casting  but they just don’t work great for spinning. 

the prevail II 12’ heavy I have feels much lighter than my ocean master 12’. 

if you want to pony up some more $ my cts s7 1305 is significantly lighter than both but you need to have one built

Edited by tvl3rd

14 mins ago, tvl3rd said:

Daiwa ballistic for like $350 is probably one of the nicest mid range. If you’re using it with a spinner I’d get it built with spinning guides. They come with guides that are supposed to work with both spinning and casting  but they just don’t work great for spinning. 

the prevail II 12’ heavy I have feels much lighter than my ocean master 12’. 

if you want to pony up some more $ my cts s7 1305 is significantly lighter than both but you need to have one built

Do yourself a favor and get a CTS S7 1305. I also have a Daiwa Ballistic and a Vega Potenza but the CTS is my go to.